• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

4R55E to A4LD swap

Gizzard

Reaction score
City, State
Payson, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 EB
Hi folks. My cousin has a '95 Explorer, apparently with the 4R55E. Trans went out recently. He bought a totalled but complete '94 Explorer, apparently with a A4LD. Trans in '94 had recently been rebuilt. He ASSUMED both trannys are the same. Both trans are still in both vehicles. What are the tell-tale signs that confirm what tranny is what? Can we swap the computer controlled solenoids, etc. from the A4 over to the 4R and make this work? Any help and info is much appreciated.. Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Look for a vacuum modulator on the side of the trannie near the rear and under the heat shield. It will have a hose running to it. If it is there, you have an A4LD in front of you.

You can swap guts from new to old (mostly) but the cases are different. (See project frankentranny in the sticky threads above) BUT !! You can't put a 4R55 vave body on an A4LD transmission and make it a 4R55 (or 4R44). Sorry.

Gizzard

Reaction score
City, State
Payson, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 EB
Well, darn it. I will have him look for that vacuum modulator on the '94 tonite. Thanks alot. Don

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
Most likely you're screwed.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

AERBROCONVIL

Reaction score
City, State
62910,IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xl star
But can you swap the 4r55 to a A4 application?

and do they sell an upgrade harness?

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
I don't know if the stand alone controlloer for the 5R55 transmissions will control a 4R55E or not. If it would, that might be the most straightforward way to put a 4R55E in place of an A4LD, even though those stand alone controllers are expensive.

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
If you have enough $$ there is often a way to make things work. For 99.9% of us we are trying to SAVE $$ not spend it. SWAPS in these days of computer control are $$$ eaters.

vanionBB

Reaction score
City, State
Kennewick, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1996 XLT
Is there a general compatibility thread somewhere, like what transmissions work with what years? I think they put 4r44e and 4r55e in my year (1996) so presumably I could use either in my truck, with very little modification. Is there somewhere that details what year has what tranny and what might be interchangeable?

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars