• Register Today It's free!

4R55E VB rebuild shopping list

pafixitman

Reaction score
City, State
Hanover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited
I have a fairly new to me 1996 Explorer Limited w/ the 4 point slow and a 4R55E trans. The truck has 101K on it. I have an issue w/ an SSC code and the usual shift flair and reverse hesitation. I recently acquired a 5R55e valve body and am undecided on the order in which I want to upgrade my valve body (drop in the 5R and rebuild the 4R and then swap, build the 5R and swap once or just build the 4R and have the truck down for a weekend.) :rolleyes: . Anyway, let me run a grocery list by y’all and see if I am on the right path.

3L5Z-7M203-JA – EPC BLOW OFF KIT (Install kit)
2L5Z-7C155-AA – PLATE TO CASE GASKET
2L5Z-7D100-BA- PLATE TO CONTROL GASKET
XL2Z-7L491-AA- REVISED BRACKET

Transgo or Superior shift kit, Sonnex boost valve and a new EPC solenoid and one new shift solenoid, new filter and pan gasket.

Have I missed any thing? I plan to install a Magna fine in line filter and a B&M plate cooler also. The truck does not tow (I have a dually for that :D ) so this is just for the wife running around.

Thanks,
Joe

It looks like pretty much everything, except for the ATF fluid.:D Seriously, you should also get 23256K double wiper low/reverse servo kit ($1.52), Transtec viton seal kit for the low/reverse servo 23256KA ($2.70). I would recommend the viton kit.

Thanks BB! I thought the double wiper was part of the Transgo kit...I need that bad boy... Shift out of park, count one, two, accelerate gets old!

Any thoughts on dropping in the 5R and rebuilding the 4R versus rebuilding the 5? Other than gaskets and fluid... You and Glacier said you thought the VB was the same. $30 to my door w/ 5 soleniods was too good of a deal, so the gamble was worth it to me.

The double wiper seal is only available for the larger one. The viton seals come with both the larger, and smaller ones in the same kit. The double wiper seal does come in some shift kits. I don't think any shift kits come with the viton seals just yet. You could just get them separately.

Back