4R70W 3000 stall and towing question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R70W 3000 stall and towing question

I am looking to get another Edge converter for my truck when I swap in the 4R70W from the 3550. I am going to want the stall speed raised some for the track, but there I also will hook up to my car trailer and pull the car to the track as well as pull my jonboat to the river as often as I can. I am wanting some input as to how well this is going to work so that I can have my cake and eat it to. I will be purchasing the biggest trans cooler that can fit on the front of the truck, cooling will not be the issue:)
Jesse

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get a trans temp gauge so you can keep an eye on it.. and get a gigantic trans cooler to help keep it cool. i have a 2400rpm stall in my bronco, and with the stock cooler, it would peg the trans temp gauge (280 degrees) in less than two minutes with heavy-throttle wheelin'. cruise temp was around the 200 point.. and i tried towing with it too.. pegged the gauge as soon as i hit a slight incline. i was even careful to keep it in lower gears so i was well above the stall point

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's what I did, just for throwing ideas out.

2 stock explorer towing package coolers side by side. These have real good flattened tubes for great heat transfer

coolers.jpg

and with fans. 2 10" with 180 degree "on" thermosat.

fans.jpg

Hard lines for fluid added

attachment.php

with bumper in place. The trans coolers do not penetrate into the grill openening

bumperdonenoflash.jpg

Hmm, this thread stopped giving me updates. I ordered a 3000 stall single disc 11" from Alan that is rated for the turbo power (I buy everything for that next step). It will be much lower stall rating while NA, which I'm ok with. I have my trans with Baumann shift kit, yoke, flexplate, stock converter, and ARP flexplate bolts all coming in on Friday. However, he was told by the previous owner of his truck that the trans is from a 99, but it has a VSS in the tailshaft. Granted, the guy who swapped it into the Ranger may have added the tailshaft as a necessity for the VSS in the early Ranger, but I am going to have to check part numbers on the trans to make sure it is a 99.
As for a cooler I think I found a nice 45 gvw cooler I am going to mount on the front of the condensor. I need to take some measurements to be sure.
Jesse

Alan makes great converters, get a good tune that locks the converter right and unlocks properly and with the right size tranny cooler you should have a problem. my brother use to tow with his truck even with a none lock up AOD converter and stock cooler. his truck went 10's so you just gotta have the right setup.

Alan makes great converters, get a good tune that locks the converter right and unlocks properly and with the right size tranny cooler you should have a problem. my brother use to tow with his truck even with a none lock up AOD converter and stock cooler. his truck went 10's so you just gotta have the right setup.

What trans did he use then, and what has the truck got now?

he had a level 10 AODE but blew that up in 2 months, then went to a all out lenntech AOD. remember how long my brother truck has been around. way back when no one was tuning and no one made serious tranny parts or converter. we had to go with a A9L computer and AOD tranny to get things to hold. now you can get a AODE lenntech and converter from Alan and tune your turbo or blower setup like it was any other mustang. in fact my brother was *****ing about it to me the other day about how bad he feels about all the cross breeding his explorer had done to it. i told him it was silly to buy a donor truck and try and use stock computer to make 1000 hp but he insist that it would make the truck more drivable with his little turbo cam and regular lock up converter and what not. hell i have learned so much through the years i could still keep changing his setup and never be done. i could have used the same headers we built and put a monster turbo under the truck and keep the rest of the engine bay stock. and with a built motor with small came and right setup it would be just silly.

Back