Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Mustang GT
On with my issue of the moment.
OD light flashing, code reads P7081 which is a 1-2 shift error

Interestingly enough, even with the od light flashing, shifting feels fine, and the truck seems completely drive-able.

What to do? I really don't want to drop the trans, so I decided to do what I can from underneath. I then thought seriously about rebuilding my valve body, and performing the Jerry Mod. I looked at the Transgo 27932-HD2 AODE 4R70W PERFORMANCE REPROGRAMMING KIT. I also looked at the cost of gaskets, oddball parts in the valve body instead of the transgo kit, risk of causing another issue, etc.....I just ordered a lentech valve body. Rebuilt and ready to go. Along with that, the 1-2 accumulator, and the 2-3 accumulator with springs for both.

Its very possible I have a broken spring in the 1-2 accumulator. If this is the case, I'm hoping the bore isn't trashed meaning I'll need a different transmission.

More to come once the valve body shows up and I'm mentally prepared for a golden shower. Oops, I should say red shower. I'm sure neither are pleasant, but if this works it will save me from fighting with a transfer case, and worse yet....that transmission weight as it comes down to get rebuilt.

Who knows, when the pan comes off I might see so much crap on the magnet that the trans comes out anyway.

I'll update with my experience as this evolves.

LOL.....
And I really hope 'We' (With begging, sniveling, what ever it takes for help) don't need to use it.
This stuff is so heavy, I'm just not comfortable under there trying to drop stuff that weighs just slightly less than I do.

found a couple issues.
1. Filter was laying in the bottom of the pan
2. 1-2 accumulator spring was busted.

Replaced the valve body with a Lentech unit, as it was apart already, and I wasn't sure what the issue would be. Decided to do everything possible without pulling the trans.

So,
1-2 accumulator and springs replaced.
2-3 accumulator and spring replaced.
Valve body replaced.
Filter replaced (of course)

There was no real amount of clutch material in the bottom of the pan to worry about. Solid shifts now, I'm sure this issue is taken care of.

IMG_20161209_1210130.jpg

Back