4r70w questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4r70w questions

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Hey guys I've got a 96 awd 5.0 with the 4r70w. What is this updated shift accumulator I'm reading about and should I mess with mine? Also I'm reading mercon fluid. I always thought all 4r70w's used 5 but does this truck actually use 4?

Both the 1st/2nd and 2nd/3rd shift accumulators are notorious for problems.

Two different common issues: Scored walls in tbe accumulators and broken springs.

Harsh, jerky shifts are the symptoms. If you have nice smooth shifts into 2nd and 3rd, you probably don't need to worry about the accumulators.

Pretty sure Ford used a couple diffsrent pans on the 4R70W -- I'm guessing but you might well have a shallow pan, perhaps from a trans change out sometime in the past.

Both the 1st/2nd and 2nd/3rd shift accumulators are notorious for problems.

Two different common issues: Scored walls in tbe accumulators and broken springs.

Harsh, jerky shifts are the symptoms. If you have nice smooth shifts into 2nd and 3rd, you probably don't need to worry about the accumulators.

Pretty sure Ford used a couple diffsrent pans on the 4R70W -- I'm guessing but you might well have a shallow pan, perhaps from a trans change out sometime in the past.

My pan looks the same as any other 4r70w pan I've seen . What's weird is it looks like it uses mercon not mercon 5. Like every other 4r70w I've worked on. So I just wanted to confirm the fluid I need to use.

Back