4R70W shift kit install - what else should I do while I'm in there? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R70W shift kit install - what else should I do while I'm in there?

Jeeps&Fords

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
I'm going to replace the pressure regulator valve and the bypass clutch control valve while I have it open. Anything else that should be replaced? I seem to remember a posting a while ago about updating a couple other valves with some updated parts from Ford, but I can't find that thread.

Thanks!

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me run through my information... not sure there's a lot else valve body related....get back to ya later in the week

Bump...

Dang - TCC started giving me problems a couple days ago and just got a CEL on the way to work this morning.

Back to the original question - anything else I should change while I'm in there?

www.tccoa.com

In the tech section, there is a very good article for upgrades written by one of the Ford Engineers. You may what to change the 1/2 & 2/3 accumulator valves.

Thanks, guys! The tccoa site is what I was looking for.

Turns out the CEL is not trans related - I got a P0442 - evap emissions system leak (small). Search turned up a possible resolution - bad purge valve.

Looks like I'll be busy over the New Year's weekend - trans work, lower ball joints, and fix my evap system.

Thanks again.

Back