4R70W Shift Kit Install

5.0L96Exp

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hi all,

I been planning to install a shift kit for some time now and am about ready to buy the parts. I have the 4R70W with 150 000 Miles on it. Seems to be in excellent working order, it has the Ford factory tranny cooler and the fluids were changed regularly. It does seem to take its time shifting between 2nd and 3rd, anywhere from 3 to 5 seconds. I have read http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html# (fantastic site) and it seems like there are a few items I should replace while everything is apart.
Ford Parts:
1. 1-2 Accumulator piston (Ford F7AZ-7F251-AA)
2. 2-3 Accumulator piston (Ford F7AZ-7H292-AA)
3. EPC solenoid (Ford F6AZ-7G383-AA)
4. hold bracket(1/16'' shorter for thinner VB plate) (Ford F6AZ-7H111-A)
5. TCC (Torque Converter Solenoid) 10 to 16 ohms (Ford F7AP-7G136-AA)
I think the above should take care of the regular wear and tear.

Baumann Parts:
6. ReCal Pro™ AOD-E/4R70W Valve Body Recalibration Kit RK-AODE-2 for 96-2000 4R70W $114.95
7. Bypass Clutch Control Valve for AOD-E / 4R70W Transmissions BCV-1 $29.99
8. Pressure Regulator Valve for Ford AOD-E / 4R70W Transmissions
(Included with the ReCal Pro kit)

I am looking for a firmer shift, something around a stage 3-B (seems to be a popular choice for explorer owners), hopefully extending the life of this already aged tranny and making acceleration a little more snappy. Not sure if parts 7. and 8. are really required though? The other option is to flash the pcm but I dont feel this will take care "wear and tear".

OR in the case of 150Miles-> if it aint broke dont touch it.

Just want to double check with you guys and see if there is anything I may have forgotten.

Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are some other options I am exploring:

TCI Trans-Scat Valve Body Kit part# 436001. Looks more less equivalent to the Baumann Kit. http://www.tciauto.com/ford/ford_aod.htm

Transgo Valve Body Kit part# AODE-HD2 $110 (Seems to be very popular with the F150 folks)
http://www.transgo.com

B&M Valve Body kit part# 40266 (I have heard that the BM kits are sorta 1 size fits all - ie extra parts not the best kit out there)
http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=12&subcat=21&pid=224

B&M ShiftPlus part#70381 $40 (Electronic Hydrolic Pressure Control Module. ie raises the hydrolic pressure resulting in firmer shifts)
http://www.bmracing.com

For what its worth I may just end up buying a complete "master" rebuild kit and get the clutches, steel plates, front band, etc. Is it worth the extra $300 (CDN) bucks to rebuild at 150Miles I'm not sure? What do you guys think? I don’t have the experience to say.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm interested in your first post too. I've been meaning to install the Baumann for a few years now. I've never heard of anyone replacing other junk while they're in there though. We may have to get Glacier into this thread.

Ya Glacier is the man.. He seems to be an encyclopedia of knowledge. I had another post going wrt bleeding the ABS.. And Glaciers name came up then too (had to put that project on hold for the time being).

Well I’m a little stuck. Most of the complete rebuild kits come with all the parts, including those found in the valve body kits. What I don’t want to happen is install a valve body kit then a year later have to buy duplicate parts in a kit when all I'll need is the clutches, etc. But who knows, the previous owner used the X to get groceries, so maybe the clutches and plates will be fine for another 2 years with an upgraded shift kit.

For sure I will replace:
1. 1-2 Accumulator piston (Ford F7AZ-7F251-AA) $10
2. 2-3 Accumulator piston (Ford F7AZ-7H292-AA) $10
6. ReCal Pro™ AOD-E/4R70W Valve Body Recalibration Kit RK-AODE-2 for 96-2000 4R70W $114.95
Total = 140ish (=1 months beer)

These guys may have to wait until they actually break.
3. EPC solenoid (Ford F6AZ-7G383-AA)
5. TCC (Torque Converter Solenoid) 10 to 16 ohms (Ford F7AP-7G136-AA)
Ford quoted me a ridiculous price.

OR complete rebuild kit for $350-$600 (Cdn) (=1 months rent)

How well does the Baumann kit work? Did you ever get it installed?

This thread is almost 4 years old and he(5.0l96exp) hasn't posted anything in 2 1/2 years. Might not get a response.

ok lol

Does anyone have a Baumann shift kit in their 4r70w?
Was it easy to install?
What are the shifts like?
Does anyone have the electronic module that allows you to reprogram the transmission shift points? If you do did you install the shift by wire option that allows you to shift up or down a gear using the cruse control buttons.

Back