4R70W to Manual Swap? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R70W to Manual Swap?

Watching

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm assuming that a Ford Ranger clutch pedal assembly may bolt in to the Explorer chassis. That would simplify things a lot. The clutch master just has to be located in the correct location according to the pedal actuator... perhaps the firewalls are the same between the Explorer and Ranger.

I'm assuming that a Ford Ranger clutch pedal assembly may bolt in to the Explorer chassis. That would simplify things a lot. The clutch master just has to be located in the correct location according to the pedal actuator... perhaps the firewalls are the same between the Explorer and Ranger.
Yes the Ranger master will work, I am using an 89 Ranger master in mine right now. Had to modify the peddle bracket a bit to Mount it but was easy to do. I'm also using a 89 f150 trans and slave. Ranger steering shaft and so on.

Yes the Ranger master will work, I am using an 89 Ranger master in mine right now. Had to modify the peddle bracket a bit to Mount it but was easy to do. I'm also using a 89 f150 trans and slave. Ranger steering shaft and so on.

Ok, that is cool. My intent is to retain my 5.0L-4R70W combo for my ride, but if my Mounty was my primary trail rig I'd definitely do a 5-speed and gear driven t-case swap. I would think that the '88-97 small block Ford patterned ZF with a Dana 20 or NP205 behind it would be a solid setup for an Explorer. That 5.72:1 1st gear ratio almost eliminates the need for low-range in the t-case.

Yeah I love my m5od and np205 setup with 4.10 gears. It is nice to drive and works great off road.

AX15 could be adapted to the 5.0L. Hydraulic clutch to an external slave would be nice.

Following This Thread has really made me contemplate this swap. Went searching through are shelves today at the salvage yard and came across a 5-speed and 4406 out of a 98 F150 with a 4.2. If that will bolt up to my 302 I think I'm taking it home

the 4r70w is a stout trans, if your hurting it you have to be doing something wrong, ive pushed over 600rwhp through bone stock 4r70s before and they take it for a good while

the m5r2 is a well respected competitor for a budget 2wd swap, ive given them hell in my supercoupes and they hold up well

the 4r70w is a stout trans, if your hurting it you have to be doing something wrong, ive pushed over 600rwhp through bone stock 4r70s before and they take it for a good while

the m5r2 is a well respected competitor for a budget 2wd swap, ive given them hell in my supercoupes and they hold up well

That's why I was thinking m5r2. I owned 14 super Coupes and only had an issue with one trans. Actually at the moment I'm under the hood of mine and contemplating pulling the automatic out because it worries me even though it's rebuilt. I only plan on pulling a single car trailer with the truck and I'm sure it's up to the job but I just seem to have more faith in a manual

Back