4R70W Transmission Missing Piece | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

kingtheo999

Reaction score
City, State
Riverside
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT V8 2WD
I posted a summery of my problem a few days ago but didn't get any useful answers. My 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8 2WD is having transmission problems. Its stuck in limp mode, won't engae in reverse or neutral, and it threw these 3 codes; P1747, P1636, and P0750. However, I just noticed that there seems to be a piece missing from the bottom of my transmission. It looks as like there should be some kind of cap covering this hole but is missing and allows me to see the internals of the transmission. And judging by oil soaked components surrounding the area, I'm pretty sure it dumped all the fluid that was in the transmission. Pic below.

VideoCapture_20201201-171042.jpg

All that is usually there is a rubber plug.

No worry here as said above there is just a rubber plug there, that blue component is the torque converter.

The leak could be transmission fluid, not because of the missing rubber plug but because of a leak in the front pump area. If your transmission fluid is low it would indicate a leak, if its not low it could be motor oil.

If you lost reverse and neutral is most likely because of the forward clutch stuck on, they can stick on if the clutch is damaged, if clutches slip too much they can build up heat and stick together, basically friction welding. The most common reason for this is due to low fluid, so maybe it is leaking.

Reverse cant work because the welded together forward clutch is still trying to drive the vehicle forward, so reverse binds up. Basically its in forward and reverse at the same time.

You loose neutral because the forward clutch is welded on so it pulls forward in neutral.

This transmission will have to be rebuilt.

the rubber plug is just to access the converter drain plug, factory converters have a drain in them. That blue converter is not factory and I doubt it has a drain plug, looks like this transmission has been out before

Back