4th and OD early shift and hard kickdown | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th and OD early shift and hard kickdown

mechjames

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
got my new a4ld in, and it shifts great, but 4th and OD seems to come in a bit early. torque converter can sometimes be locked up at 60km/h.

if i go to kick down or accelerate, sometimes, there is this major thump. i'm curious as to if the 3-4 and OD solenoids aren't working right.

the transmission was spray painted before i put it in, and some overspray got onto the electrical connectors. I wire brushed most of it off, but could it be possible that i didn't get it all? Do these sound like symptoms of non-working or disconnected solenoids?

i have an adjustable modulator as well, could that not be set right? i have adjusted the kickdown cable though.

3-4 shift and torque converter lockup clutch (TCC) are electronically controlled where the computer acts as a ground side switch. Your description of the symptoms makes me wonder if there's a short to ground between the solenoids and the PCM.

well in my old transmission, they worked. does it take a ground to engage or disengage them? because if it takes a ground to disengage, then its not working, hence the big pressure bang trying to get to 4th from 3rd and from TCC to 4th.

but it could also have dirty connections too (like some paint covered)

how would i go about testing it? find the pinout from the computer to the solenoid and check for resistance and continuity?

Back