4th gen build - front speaker issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th gen build - front speaker issue

Greg_DonWindsor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited V8 4x4
Hey guys,

this is my 2nd explorer and second aftermarket stereo build. Started out with the installation linked at my post over in the modified 4th gen forum:

New 2008 Limited project truck

Basically, I’ve installed a Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX headunit with PAC harness, and JL C2-570x coaxial speakers in all 4 doors with dynamat insulation. If it helps to know, I did this in stages; ran factory headunit with front JL drivers installed, then added the rear JL drivers a few months later. A few months after that I installed the pioneer headunit.

Everything was running great for a while, although I noticed there seemed to be no sound coming from the factory 8” sub, there was no such sub wire connection to be found on the PAC harness. The sub also seemed as if it was “ghosting” output at a very low volume from the headunit built in am/fm or satellite radio, it was too quiet to be sure. This problem persists.

Lately, I had an issue with front left driver cutout from time to time. Then after a bit longer front right started to cut out from time to time. Now both front speakers are out. Anyone have any ideas as to what the cause might be? I’ve removed the headunit and all drivers a few times already searching for it and checking connections but with no luck so far. I had been thinking of getting a 5-channel amp and aftermarket sub to finish it all, but I’d like to solve this door speaker driver issue first.

Thanks for any help in advance!
-Greg

not sure, but ive had an electrical gremlin in a newer vehicle where sometimes it cuts the front speakers for NAV/cell phon etc, but the front speakers never return... but its never permanent... somethng tells me its something in the HU, but im no audio guru.... and when i plugged a sub into my stock prem (non mach) HU it did something similiar... in my defense they looked the same :D just prem had no sub output, but had a plug...:banghead:no booming even with marky mark or depeche... i knew soemthng was wrong;) doubt this was at all helpful to you though... ive had one drivernot work, ended up being HU "logic" swapped em around for a bit to pinpoint... have you tried flipping the speakrs side? ie d/s to p/s? that about all i got...

and after if you funnel input into an amp, you should be able to add high output filter (or itll come with it) so you can run your sub!

Back