• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen Dash Swap?

fr0st m0nkey

Reaction score
City, State
Stockton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Is it possible? I like the look of the new explorer dashes a lot more than the look of my third gens. You can order the dashes from a salvage shop online for only like $400, what sort of modifications would be needed to fit into my explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm interested in doing the same but idk if they are drop in swaps. figure i'm sure it can be done but just like the taillights and seats from the 4th gen you are probably gonna have to modify it. i say do it and let us know how it goes. i wanna do the dash, center console, and door panels but you should def. do them first

Don't 4th gens have the shifter on the center console?

I would much prefer the shifter on the center console, if the dash would fit then would you be able to add the factory nav w/ sync?

yeah i agree i would rather the shifter in the center console. just wait till something happens to the cable for ours!!!! its right around 300 bucks for the cable alone, the cable for the 4th gen exs are only like 90

Our shifter came in the centre console as standard on our 2nd Gens....

Si

all right-hand drive explorers have the center console shifter. JCuz has it in his 04 X.

i want a center console shifter, info please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16042007.jpg

that's the best picture I could find of it, but I can take more if needs be

Si

lol someone try it!!!!!!

The column ****er really annoys me when I use the A/C because it always blocks the air from getting to me and I just end up with a cold shifter.

16042007.jpg

that's the best picture I could find of it, but I can take more if needs be

Si

I like the poor right hand drive implementation, where they leave the 4wd control knob on the left side.

I'd never want my 4wd buttons anywhere near my passenger's grubby paws; although i do have kids and my stepdaughter manages to hit the info center buttons while tooling around with the stereo. I don't want to imagine how many times i'd be switched into 4hi if i had 4wd instead of AWD...

The column ****er really annoys me when I use the A/C because it always blocks the air from getting to me and I just end up with a cold shifter.

omfg I can't STAND that. Such a piss poor design move on ford's part. I much prefer my 1st gen's vent placements; the air actually hits ME not the shifter.

I second that!
I posted about that when I got my 04 but no one seemed to have the same problem...Just got responses to move my seat position etc....
Ive always thought my 04 had a low air volume. Lots of noise for the air that comes out.

I don't worry about people playing with buttons because I have rules:

1) my car - don't touch anything
2) if you want to change the stereo - ask, then use the remote.

Si

I don't worry about people playing with buttons because I have rules:

1) my car - don't touch anything
2) if you want to change the stereo - ask, then use the remote.

Si

i have those same rules, and they do ask. But sometimes she'll accidently hit the message center buttons to the left of the radio.

lol i think thats a common rule for guys vehicles. mygirl knows that she has a remote she can use. its sad because i have 2 pioneer remotes so one for each person up front. just shows how lazy america is getting

I second that!
I posted about that when I got my 04 but no one seemed to have the same problem...Just got responses to move my seat position etc....
Ive always thought my 04 had a low air volume. Lots of noise for the air that comes out.

Ive tried moving my seat ever way possible to get the air at me, noting works, so if I dont want the windows down I have to use the ceiling vent for the second row and aim it at the back of my head. It works ok. I use the passenger air vent if no one is in the front seat too.
I thought the same thing about the air flow. the one of the left of the steering wheel feels like there is barely anything coming out. I always ust end up putting my cigarette in front of it and aim it out the window so my truck doesnt smell like smoke.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

doable yes...cheep...hell no...there are SO many differences between the two...i can get into depth if need be, but its late and im tired lol.

Back