4th Gen/General Mirror Installation on 3rd Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen/General Mirror Installation on 3rd Gen

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
So many of us with 3rd gens have been told on this forum over and over, get the 4th gen mirrors, get the 4th gen mirrors. Well I just had an urge to test out my $15 junkyard special mirror off of a 4th gen. Everything works on that mirror likes its out of the factory! Good buy on that!
So ladies and gents...here's how its done! I know a lot of you may know how to do this so....this is to help those that don't.

First, I do suggest that you turn your dimmer to the off setting, or disconnect your battery.

So enough talking.

Supplies Needed:
7mm or 6mm Socket; My bolts varied in size so I needed both sockets
11mm Socket
A flat head screw driver, you may need it may not.
A 1/4" Drive Ratchet with extension...size of extension your choice.
A magnet to get those nuts/washers so they dont fall ;)
2 Body panel removers from harbor freight or whatever...
door1.jpg

Next remove the two bolts/screws at the botton of the door panel. This will not take a lot of effort as these are not on tightly. (note: no red arrow on door panel) 7mm socket required
door2.jpg

Next you want to carefully, I want to emphasize on carefully, pry off the plastic trim panel around the door handle. These pieces are easy to break so take all the care you can when removing the panel.
door3.jpg

After that, move to your windows/door controls there is a bolt hidden by this so the door panel will not move without this being taken off. This is where my repair manual came in handy :thumbsup: 7mm socket required
NOTE: Don't pry on this, get it loose and use your hands to pull it up. It will break easy (not that I did that)
door4.jpg

Here's that hidden bolt/screw :D
door5.jpg

So now you have your door panel just chillin there. Lift up on the panel and it should slide out. There are many wires, if your just messing with the mirrors you're not going to need to disconnect all of these. No picture for this step.

Now that your door panel is completely unbolted from your explorer, you can get to your mirrors. But there is foam in the way just carefully tear that off. You will need to apply glue to this to get it to stick back on. (No picture)

So you now see the wiring harnes and three nuts holding your mirror on your X. Disconnect the connecter now. It makes removal of the mirror much easier. This is where you may find a flat head screwdrive handy. Just push the little tab and the harness will slide right off.
door6.jpg

Well Next you'll remove the 3 bolts holding the mirror on. Make sure you do not drop these, as they may need to be used for the new mirror. This requires the 11mm socket with the extension.
door7.jpg

So now with those 3 nuts removed you can remove your mirror.

Now for the best step of em all...
Installing your new mirror. :D
So I chose a 4th gen mirror to install. They are a plug n play mirror. They look great.
So put on the mirror, connect the connectors, fasten up the nuts and test out the functions of the mirrors!
To reinstall the door panel, first put the foam that you peeled off back on with some glue, and just slide the panel in the slot by the window, fasten up all of the 7mm bolts/screws, put the trim back on and you're good to go!

Well I hoped this help as much as I think it will. It took me longer because I was snapping photos along the way to hopefully help anyone who needs help.

Feel Free to ask any questions

Some Credit for my knowledge on this goes to:
02-07 Ford Explorer Haynes Repair Manual Section/Page 11-10.

Thanks for reading & hope it helps,
Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice write-up Nate! You should have just left it on, and stayed in the right lane. Nobody would have known... :D

That mirror needed some cleaning. I was sitting there for an afternoon getting that clear of spider webs, and getting it to look like new.

Interesting thing on this, all of these photos, except for 3, were taken reinstalling the old mirror. Its all the same process. It was an after thought, and I figured what the heck might as well do a how to thread on it.

I tried to post as many pictures as possible and best description I could think of.

Moderator: This may be a good thread to sticky for a 3rd gen how-to.

I bought that tool set at Costco for...I think it was $100.00. I lost one tool so far, but replaced it. It was a 10mm combo wrench. I think my friends BMW ate the tool :D

Pictures are back

I apologize, my imageshack account was wiped out so I had to upload my pics again.

How about a picture showing the mirrors on the truck?

Sorry, but I can't tell a difference between the 4th and 3rd gen mirrors. I'm probably not looking at the right ones, but is it only a cosmetic difference or actual function difference? I'll keep googling.

Well I find that its easier to see out of these mirrors. I think those 3rd gen mirrors kind of take away some of the view, and I was having a lot of difficulties seeing out of those mirrors. So its cosmetic and its function difference too. I only did the mirror swap 'cause the price was right on the one 4th gen mirror I purchased.

I'll post up a before and after shot:
BEFORE:
mudend.jpg

AFTER:
newpic2.jpg

I finally found some good google images of the two types. I think you're on to something with having a better wide angle view with the 4th gen's. Looks nice btw.

Well I find that its easier to see out of these mirrors. I think those 3rd gen mirrors kind of take away some of the view, and I was having a lot of difficulties seeing out of those mirrors. So its cosmetic and its function difference too. I only did the mirror swap 'cause the price was right on the one 4th gen mirror I purchased.

I was thinking that the 4th gens would be easier to see out of. Do you see more or is it just the angle of the mirror/shape make it easier to see? Because if I could find a decent set of mirrors at a good price, I'd do the swap.

I finally found some good google images of the two types. I think you're on to something with having a better wide angle view with the 4th gen's. Looks nice btw.

therover1991- I think its a little bit of both. Refer to JHG120's post quoted above. I think there's more glass there so more refelction, and the angle and shape does make it easier. Then I'm used to driving a truck and so these mirrors are similar to whats on that truck.

Overall I think it was worth the swap.

therover1991- I think its a little bit of both. Refer to JHG120's post quoted above. I think there's more glass there so more refelction, and the angle and shape does make it easier. Then I'm used to driving a truck and so these mirrors are similar to whats on that truck.

Overall I think it was worth the swap.

alright thanks, im gonna look around for prices for the mirrors.

I would check some junkyards. I bought my passenger side mirror from ebay new and it was $50.00. My drivers side came from the junkyard it has a little bit of damage on the plastic shell(since the explorer I took it off of exploded in the back), but it was only $15.00.

how do i get mirrors to oz.......

hi guys love what you have done,by swapping the old gay type mirrors for the 2006 type.....well my pass side left hand mirror hit a roo...oh by the way im in australia....steering wheel on the right side....we are british you know...lol....ahhhh any how i have just seaeched ebay for 2006 with power,puddle.....and guess what noooo one will send to good old oz....new price is ....wait for it $1100 each in oz dollars ....wrecker yards....if they have it $500 large....aaaagh..if any body knows of a site ....please lets know.........nat it looks real cool..............see ya

nate do you have a picture of the 2 side by side not installed? If not do you know how much larger those mirrors are? Id like to kick the engineer who designed some of the stuff of the explorer in the groan area. my mirrors are to small for my X one of the many design flaws.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nate do you have a picture of the 2 side by side not installed? If not do you know how much larger those mirrors are? Id like to kick the engineer who designed some of the stuff of the explorer in the groan area. my mirrors are to small for my X one of the many design flaws.

I actually don't, but I'll take my truck and park next to another third gen and snap a pic with my cell phone.

Back