• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen information

sakirfp

Reaction score
City, State
Forsyth GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT 4.6
I have owned a several explorers in the past. I currently have a 2005 with a blown 4.6L engine and 236K miles. I have decided it is not going to be worth the money to fix it up. I am now looking at getting a 4th Gen. I want to stay around 100,00-125000 miles.

Did 4th generation come with a 4.6L or just the 4.0?
I know they had wheel bearing issues like the 3rd gens. Are there any other issues I should look for

Also what about going with an Expedition of the same years?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you want at 4.6L V8 but its not standard on most. LTD appear to have them by default with the better Transmission 6r60 I believe is the number.
IMO the 2009 is the best of the series having a number of improvement applied while late 2008's likely have them as well but its difficult to verify.

got a 2010 explorer w/4.0 sohc & 5r55s trany with about 109,000mi on it runs great no problems but no really any heavy duty driving mainly highway been happy with it ...... so far ;)

Maybe by 2010 Ford did something about the chain guides. If you got it new then you know exactly how its looked after however that does not apply to used ones. It becomes a risk never the less the V8 add the addition HP as well that this weight class needs for many. A better bet in the long run especially for a used one.

This is going be used mostly as a second vehicle to haul kids and crap around as well as throw my canoe on top. Not sure how much more than that I would need.

I was thinking the expedition because of the 5.4 v8 . My 4.6 timing chain guides broke up and caused havoc. I am little worred about the 4.6 again.

Well others can speak to that but the block is very similar in many respects. Doing good oil changes is key in any engine IMO and not pushing it too long or at all. Sound can be heard long before they break.

Keep in mind that for 2006 the explorer got the more powerful 3 valve per cylinder 4.6 liter and 6 speed transmission.

Back