4th Gen Power Running Boards on 3rd Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen Power Running Boards on 3rd Gen

yeet1331

Reaction score
City, State
Land O Lakes, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Limited 4.6 4x2
Very stupid question about something 100% not worth the money. Starting in 2007 the Explorer Eddie Bauer and Limited (the Mountaineer too) became available with power running boards, something I've always loved and not a lot of people ordered on theirs, especially the Eddie Bauer. I thought it wasn't even an option on those but apparently it was and they're extremely rare. If I got my hands on a set would I be able to make them work on my 2005? I know for a fact that it's nowhere near worth the money to get but for the sake of possibly finding some cheap and curiosity is it possible? I'd figure out a way to mount the brackets and wire them to the signal that tells the computer when a door is opened, or so I think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very stupid question about something 100% not worth the money. Starting in 2007 the Explorer Eddie Bauer and Limited (the Mountaineer too) became available with power running boards, something I've always loved and not a lot of people ordered on theirs. If I got my hands on a set would I be able to make them work on my 2005? I know for a fact that it's nowhere near worth the money to get but for the sake of possibly finding some cheap and curiosity is it possible?
Love to see if you ever get around to this would be very cool!

Love to see if you ever get around to this would be very cool!
I might start with the motor assemblies and trying to wire them to the signal the computer gets when a door is opened, and figuring out putting in a one-second delay so they don't just start going back up the instant the door is closed. I'm essentially going to attempt to do this from scratch rather than drop $2,000 on AMP Research ones

I have power running boards on my 2010 Mountaineer. They are controlled by the PCM and I don't think the firmware in the 3rd gens can work them. It will be interesting to see how you make it work. Keep us posted. While I would never spend the monel to have them installed, I do like having them. They give the vehicle a clean look and might give a little more ground clearance. I think they would be a PITA in areas where a lot of snow falls. I disable mine in the
up" position when snow is being forecast. The slush really messes with them actuating properly. Especially when it freezes.

I have power running boards on my 2010 Mountaineer. They are controlled by the PCM and I don't think the firmware in the 3rd gens can work them. It will be interesting to see how you make it work. Keep us posted. While I would never spend the monel to have them installed, I do like having them. They give the vehicle a clean look and might give a little more ground clearance. I think they would be a PITA in areas where a lot of snow falls. I disable mine in the
up" position when snow is being forecast. The slush really messes with them actuating properly. Especially when it freezes.
Snow? Slush? I live in Florida... anyway the money issue is why I'm attempting this myself. I'm thinking a signal in the computer or somewhere that triggers the courtesy lights and whatnot when a door is opened is going to be the winning ticket here. A potential issue is having both boards come out when one door is opened, or they come out when I open the liftgate. I also may lose the ability to turn them off if I ever wanted to.

The PCM allows programming to control the deployment and retraction of the boards. The PCM turns the motors off once they are fully deployed or retracted. My guess is that a degree of programming is required to control them properly. Also, I think the 4th gen PCM knows which door is open. I'll need to verify this but I think the "Door Adjar" warning indicates which door is open. I know it does this with the rear glass hatch.

Plus, the motors controlling the running boards detect resistance which might be what tells the PCM when to stop the motors at full retraction or extension. The detection of resistance also tells the PCM that a foot or leg might be caught in the running boards. It stops retraction and deploys the running board to prevent injuries and retracts them if resistance is detected at deployment.

I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to circuitry but controlling these running boards might take more than simple circuits.

The PCM allows programming to control the deployment and retraction of the boards. The PCM turns the motors off once they are fully deployed or retracted. My guess is that a degree of programming is required to control them properly. Also, I think the 4th gen PCM knows which door is open. I'll need to verify this but I think the "Door Adjar" warning indicates which door is open. I know it does this with the rear glass hatch.

Plus, the motors controlling the running boards detect resistance which might be what tells the PCM when to stop the motors at full retraction or extension. The detection of resistance also tells the PCM that a foot or leg might be caught in the running boards. It stops retraction and deploys the running board to prevent injuries and retracts them if resistance is detected at deployment.

I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to circuitry but controlling these running boards might take more than simple circuits.
My next question is how does AMP Research make their Powersteps work?

My next question is how does AMP Research make their Powersteps work?
I would suggest getting a PDF file of their installation instructions for a 3rd gen Explorer application to see if they have a control module that gets installed.

I would suggest getting a PDF file of their installation instructions for a 3rd gen Explorer application to see if they have a control module that gets installed.
Already tried, they don't make a 3rd gen application. They don't make a 4th gen application either.

UPDATE: After some pondering I found a "power running board module" on eBay. This means it's NOT connected to the main computer. I wonder if I could make it work now...
s-l1600.jpg

I would recommend getting a wiring diagram and verifying it is a stand alone module. Something is communicating with it to tell it when either side opens and closes. The connector on the left has 3-4 additional wires that connect somewhere and for some reason.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Still haven't put a definite plan into motion to get this done but I do have an idea as to what I'm going to do. I want to take stock 07-10 power running boards, use a universal AMP Research controller to manage them in place of the running board module, and wire it up and mod the brackets using good old Floridian ingenuity. Total shot in the dark but I think it's the only financially viable way to go about this.
download.jpg

Good luck with this. When they function properly the power running boards are nice to have. They give the vehicle a clean line. IMO, they provide a more function running board design for entering and exiting the vehicle by positioning the running board lower to the ground compared to most non-powered parts. Just keep them well lubed to promote longer life of the components.

Good luck with this. When they function properly the power running boards are nice to have. They give the vehicle a clean line. IMO, they provide a more function running board design for entering and exiting the vehicle by positioning the running board lower to the ground compared to most non-powered parts. Just keep them well lubed to promote longer life of the components.
Yep. Right now I'm trying to find someone who hated them to the point where they took them off and still have em. Hell I don't even care if they don't work, I'm just trying to get my hands on a set for as cheap as possible

Yep. Right now I'm trying to find someone who hated them to the point where they took them off and still have em. Hell I don't even care if they don't work, I'm just trying to get my hands on a set for as cheap as possible
Look for them on Ford trucks. They are the same as the ones on the Explorers. Since Ford sells so many trucks the odds of finding them on these vehicles might be a lot higher.

Look for them on Ford trucks. They are the same as the ones on the Explorers. Since Ford sells so many trucks the odds of finding them on these vehicles might be a lot higher.
They're probably longer so I may have to either cut them and/or modify brackets but that's in my initial plan anyway

They're probably longer so I may have to either cut them and/or modify brackets but that's in my initial plan anyway
I think there is a good chance they will fit. The 4th gen Explorers/Mountaineers share a lot of components with the F150.

I think there is a good chance they will fit. The 4th gen Explorers/Mountaineers share a lot of components with the F150.
I'll try and get the dimensions

I'll try and get the dimensions
I have a passenger side power running board that has quit working in the down position. I can hear it attempt to go back up when the door is closed erc but it doesnt move. Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a passenger side power running board that has quit working in the down position. I can hear it attempt to go back up when the door is closed erc but it doesnt move. Ideas?
Motor's most likely still good. Watch this video and see if it helps.

Back