4th gen rear differential fluid change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th gen rear differential fluid change

matsavol

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 4.6L EB
My 2006 explorer (with slightly less than 60K miles) still has its original rear differential fluid. I have been thinking of changing the fluid and today got to a point to evaluate the current fluid condition. I removed the fill plug and slight amount of very clear and fresh smelling gear oil came out... Just like what I would expect a new fluid look like. This totally surprised me and I'm rethinking of the need to change the fluid?

I guess since this has open differential there is less wear and resulting contaminants than typical (older gens) limited slip. If there was some metal shavings I would not see those at the top of the fluid, but over time I expect those to be ground up to "dust" and dissolved to the oil coloring it dark. Do the oil drain plug has a magnet to collect the metal shavings?

My explorer has never towed anything and it has not been ride through high waters.

At 60k I would change it anyways. I would be willing to bet that when you drain it there will be some discolored fluid coming out. I do all my diffs at 30k with synthetic fluid, just to be on the safe side. The lower plug has a magnet on it and mine was covered in a thick paste of material. Took me a few minutes to get it clean.

2 quarts of gear oil - $30
New rear diff - $650

There is no age limit (within reason) with diff fluid. You have open diffs so no clutches to worry about clean fluid and additive. Do you HAVE to change it - no not with your miles. Changing it now would be for Piece of Mind, not necessity. If it came out clear, leave until 90K and spend the money elsewhere.

I'm going to leave it alone for now. I'll look at it again after couple years if I still have this vehicle.

Back