4th Generation Interior Trim Pieces | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Generation Interior Trim Pieces

BootyDo

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
Hi All,

I currently have a 4th generation V8 Limited that I want to bring up to date. My wife and I are trying to stay with one car payment and I want to focus on giving mine just a bit of a refresh. One of the things, (silly - i know), I was looking into was replacing the wood grain trim pieces found in the center console and doors with a brushed, aluminium finish. I'm contemplating just popping them out myself, sanding, painting, and sealing, but for fear of having my interior apart for days, I'm interested in seeing if anyone might know of a reputable seller where the OEM pieces are available. I'm not having any luck on sites like RockAuto and ebay results seem to return a lot of vinyl overlays.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am on several car forums and have seen plenty of DIY interior redo's, and to be frank, most turn out poorly. These pieces in new from dealers might be cost-prohibitive if they are even still available. My suggestion would be to try a junk yard. Also, when you search ebay, under 'condition', select used and that'll filter out the thousands of vinyl overlays.

The trim pieces you speak of in silver were standard equipment on 2006-2010 Mercury Mountaineers. Also notice the Mountaineer come with this satin silver steering wheel trim:
87662827.jpg

My Sport Trac (and all other 07-10 Sport Tracs, I believe, as well as some 06-10 Explorers) came with a carbon fiber looking finish:

40351978.jpg

Do you have the rectangular digital climate control, or the 3 round hole manual climate control?

MIA but back, baby! Thank you Trac Marks! My '06 has that fake wood grain around the climate control. And on the door rests. Ugh.
LrwqWzX.jpg

It's not a great photo, but dark wood with black interior is not that appealing. But your satin silver looks amazing! Do you by chance know if those pieces are straight swaps? It really looks to be the case.

And thanks again - really appreciate the reply!

I don't mean to bombard this thread, but just did a new search on ebay, (thank you for the suggestion TM!), and found a decent amount of trim stuff. Only problem is the cost. Just the center console is over $80: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Mercury-Mountaineer-FRONT-TEMPERATURE-CONTROLS-/331466362271

If I'm able to get the seller to pull the door trim, (have only found the master panel for a bit over $50), I think I'm looking at about $200ish as a floor. Given the time involved too, how terrible would it be to pull the pieces, sand them with 80, 100, & 120 grit, apply some "plastic promoter" primer, lay down about 2-3 coats of satin silver, and then apply 2-3 coats of non-yellowing spray poly? I guess I don't mind the up front elbow grease, but my fear is the longevity. Has anyone had good success DIYing trim?

I am still trying to find a cheap quality source for the inner structure of the center armrest that seems to crack on every explorer

If you like the carbon fiber look, I'd be willing to just trade you.

I'll carefully remove mine and mail it to you on my dime. You open the box and decide if its going to work for you or not. Dont like it, send it back. If you love it, install it and send me yours. My truck isn't a daily driver, so if it takes a week or two, no worries. We each get something different for $20 or so shipping.

Let me know,.

If you like the carbon fiber look, I'd be willing to just trade you.

I'll carefully remove mine and mail it to you on my dime. You open the box and decide if its going to work for you or not. Dont like it, send it back. If you love it, install it and send me yours. My truck isn't a daily driver, so if it takes a week or two, no worries. We each get something different for $20 or so shipping.

Let me know,.

Thanks for the offer TM! Very, very tempting. I prefer that satin silver, but anything is better than this wood grain. Only thing is with winter in full affect, I'm thinking this is a Spring project.

Thanks for the offer TM! Very, very tempting. I prefer that satin silver, but anything is better than this wood grain. Only thing is with winter in full affect, I'm thinking this is a Spring project.

All good. Another member was also interested, so I'll swap with him.

Back