4th to 3rd gen radio compatibility? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th to 3rd gen radio compatibility?

jrobie79

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4.6 VIN "W"
anyone know if this would fit into a 3rd gen? I'm not really worried about the wiring, I can figure that out, with a harness from the 4th and just splicing the correct wires to it, but will it physically fit in there?

http://ebay.to/1RkGYll

The jackass PO installed an aftermarket JVC deck that sucks, it doesn't even have bluetooth (who would install aftermarket w/o bt?) the power cuts out going over bumps, and in general it just sucks.

I figured since this radio has aux input I'd try that first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4th gen chassis is too big. Without using a sawzall, it ain't gonna fit. I bought one (2006 brand new looking as if it was taken out when the car was purchased) for $25 @ Goodwill. Ended up selling it for $100 on Craigslist.

It appears that Kenwood and JVC are one and the same at this point. May have always been, I don't know. If you look at the specs for the two (at least the ones I've looked at) they are identical. New Kenwoods will say 'JVCKenwood' on their "back sticker."

Kenwood almost always has better specs than any other brand I've compared it too. When I say specs, I'm referring to those that make the best sound, not the gadgets that serve no real purpose other than to be gadgets.

I'm gonna grab one from the junkyard later, and give it a shot. I hate not having an aux input, and I don't want to shell out the money to get an aftermarket double din, I'll post results in a few weeks

The 4th gen chassis is too big. Without using a sawzall, it ain't gonna fit. I bought one (2006 brand new looking as if it was taken out when the car was purchased) for $25 @ Goodwill. Ended up selling it for $100 on Craigslist.

It appears that Kenwood and JVC are one and the same at this point. May have always been, I don't know. If you look at the specs for the two (at least the ones I've looked at) they are identical. New Kenwoods will say 'JVCKenwood' on their "back sticker."

Kenwood almost always has better specs than any other brand I've compared it too. When I say specs, I'm referring to those that make the best sound, not the gadgets that serve no real purpose other than to be gadgets.

Any luck finding a 4th gen stereo still at the yard? Hopefully you test fitted it on a 3rd gen prior to buying.

Any luck finding a 4th gen stereo still at the yard? Hopefully you test fitted it on a 3rd gen prior to buying.

I haven't found one in a yard yet, there's a bunch on ebay, for like $50...I have to replace my engine before I mess around with any interior audio stuff. Changing the engine in the middle of June sometime, so I won't have any information on the radio until at least then

More than just the Explorer came with the version found in 2006-2010.

I see them in the Mustangs all the time. Not sure why they aren't snatched up.

Isn't the 4th gen radios full double DIN size, and not the 1.5 DIN size of the 2nd and 3rd gen?

Back