4WD Auto does not engage while moving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD Auto does not engage while moving

maxxus

Reaction score
Hello Folks. Here is my problem.... (96 Explorer) My 4WD Auto does not enage while the vehicle is in movement. I have always engaged it as i was driving slow, say 5-10MPH. No Good anymore. If i stop the 4WD auto lights up on the dash and engages. 4WDLO enages fine in neutral at a stop like it should. On another note, I also lost engagment of my 4x4LO during the last snowstorm here in new england. I have thus far, drained and refilled both my T-case and front diffy. 4WD Auto Still won't engage on the go. Could it be the Actuator on the axle? the GEM? switch? Anyone who has had the same problem solved? PLEASE HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds to be a gem problem... its wierd that ist wont engage when moving but will when stopped... maybe the speed sensor is bad?

hmmn....

doesn't the speed sensor only compare wheel spin from front to rear and vice versa? I don't think the sensors could stop engagement or could they? like i had posted earlier.....4WD auto dash light won't come on until i come to a complete stop. Weird....i hope someone here can help me. Thanks

Hi--I just bought a 92 explorer that did the same thing. It was the transfer case engagement motor. The dealer balked at paying for it because it was 450. The 4 wheel woorks fine now. I just posted eldsewhere that a haynes manual has a page on cleaning that motor up. Maybe that would be all it needs---wish I would have kept the old one for a spare. Hope this helps.

i hope that is not it

I am having the truck looked at monday by a diagnostician! he does have a good reputation at fiding electronic related problems. 450.00 is a lot of money....and i would be pissed if thats the case....so much so, that i will sell the X after the repair. Doesn't ford know all this electronic **** is unreliable? I should have bought a jeep.

bringing back an old post, but i have recently have gotten this same problem in my 2001 sport. 4Hi used to engage on the fly up to about 35ish, but now it often will not kick on or is slow to kick on right away. It will go into 4Lo and 4Hi at a stop everytime, but just not all the time when moving, and sometimes it is slow to react. Any ideas what could cause this all of a sudden? sensor, tcase motor? gem? etc?

Rob

Back