Solved - 4WD, AWD, and Transfer Case Information and Operation | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 4WD, AWD, and Transfer Case Information and Operation

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
In snow what works best for a 2002 explorer? 4X4 hi low....auto??????

and what wheels should have traction? I seem to have one rear tire only when in any option........seems the same in 4X4 auto setting.......

Well, if your driving off-road 4x4 low will give you the traction you need, now in highway conditions 4hi would make more sense.

Auto is automatic, so you might wanna stick to that just in case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

only one wheel spins

in snow only the right rear spins...nothing in the front.....no matter what I select for drive 4-hi 4-lo 4-auto

I have an 04 V8 Limited Wagon with rear LSD, when I select 4x4 High with the switch it starts hopping, clunking and carrying on, can somebody take a video of exactly what SHOULD happen when I engage 4x4h via the switch on the dash. I left it in AUTO mode a week or so ago while messing around on some big piles of dirt/rocks and it still clunks and carrys on but it does select 4x4 because the front wheels were spinning when I got a little stuck, the truck got through it without any drama though, just the noises concern me. Cheers!

Hey guy...lots of info here but pretty complicated to figure whats what. My explorer is a 99 4.0 SOHV. There is pics of my door tag and interior 4x4 options. Can one of you tell me what the specs of my drivetrain and axle/tcase is?

images

picture sharing

Btw ita an XLT

Where should i post this to figure out what specs i got?? from what ive figured out i got 3.55s and no lsd.... What can i do to improve these parts on terms of off-roading and RRLIABILITY.

Thanks guys!

Transfer case problems
I got a 97 explorer, when I got it the people said the transmission was bad but when I got it started I found it was the transfer case not the transmission. It has no high range but is strong in low range, I removed the T case and disassembled it everything looked good so I put it back together and reinstalled it with no sucess (and yes I checked the shift motor and manully shifted it to high range and it still would not work) when I had it apart I noticed several small chips of white plastic in the oil, From reading on here I figured out that they are pices of the shift fork bushings.
My question is would the bushings being gone make the Tcase not work in high range or should I be looking for another problem as well?
Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Matt

tranfer box 97-99

Hello Forum,
I am in need of a replacement transfer-box for my 1999 Explorer 4x4 Sport Automatic. I have been offered a used transfer from a 1997-model, but the question is if a 97-transfer will fit into a 99-model car without too much trouble..? Can anyone help me with this, please? Thank you.

Please start a new thread for this post.

But to answer the question, any transfer case from 98-01 will work. It's the 97 cases that is unique to that model year. Unfortunately I don't know what suffixes that means you can use.

Where would this conversation be moved to?

explorer 4x4 lights flash

dash light 5 or 6 times

dave in NH

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport with no Auto 4X4 or traction control. Therefore the wbm I believe will not work on my vehicle. Does anybody know another way two wiring. A mod to engage my 4 wheel drive system do to a bad 4x4 CM I believe. I would appreciate the input. I'm going nuts have enough 4 wheel drive without being able to go out on the four wheel drive Trail

Back