4wd electric shift - No LED joy

eco001

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
Hi all,

I've read all the posts on this subject, and also Dr. Bob's tips on the electric shift problem, and mine doesn't seem to resemble anyone elses.

To start off, I get no lights or clicks when pushing the instrument panel buttons. They do flash briefly when starting the car, tho. Fuses are all good.

Disconnecting the 2 left cable harnesses on the 4wd shift control module and depressing the white reset button gives me nothing - no blinking nor continuous red light.

I've had the shifting motor off the TC and it works fine to directly applied voltage. The contacts all appear to be working as well, according to the tests described on Dr. Bob's page.

So is the shift control module fried? Is there another possibility here? I was able to verify 12 volts to it in two of the 3 harnesses that connect with it. It's very difficult to diagnose without a wiring diagram, tho...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

fixed

I replaced the shift control module, and that fixed the problem. A local salvage yard generously let me have one for only $100. I guess that's better than the $300+ quotes I've seen for retail.

eCo

Back