• Register Today It's free!

4WD Electronics

mtoland

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
I was wondering if someone who is a little more experienced with the electronics side of the A4WD system of the 2005 explorers could tell me what all is incorporated into the system. Obviously there is the dash switch, but is there also 4WD module behind the dash.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To complete this swap you’re going to need the factory wiring manuals for both models. Then you’ll know what harnesses and connectors will need repinned, and what signals are coming from which modules.

I'm away from the shop right now, but I have the large factory service manuals, I could look in there tomorrow if you think that would help. Is there a specific issue you are having?

I was basically given a wrecked 3rd Gen with 4WD. I am looking to do a 4WD swap on my current explorer and am wondering what electronics need to come with so that I can do the swap. Wiring diagrams would be extremely helpful to figure out what is needed. Also any info on what will need to be reprogramed or switched out. I guessing I will have to do quite a bit of my own wiring which I don't mind. I know that the common advice for moving to 4WD from 2WD is to just buy a 4WD but I don't mind the work. This has become my project so I don't mind it not being practical.

As I thought, the 4x4 module was made integral to the PCM. Basic components: transfer case (including shift encoder & motor), MSS (mode select switch on dash), BOO switch, DTR (digital transmission range) sensor, TPS, VSS, & the 4x4 module (integral to PCM), and stability assist module (if so equipped).

So you would at least need: harness, PCM, RSC, transfer case, front axle & half shafts, rear driveshaft, transmission with extension housing, MSS (maybe the indicator lamps too). The knuckles are the same as 4x2.

Thank you for the help guys. It will be quite a project and I am going to try and take pictures and document as I go so that way I can make a post on it as I haven't seen one about a 3rd Gen with the stability control yet. I am glad that the knuckles and wheel hubs are the same up front between the 4x2 and 4x4.

So you would at least need: harness, PCM, RSC, transfer case, front axle & half shafts, rear driveshaft, transmission with extension housing, MSS (maybe the indicator lamps too). The knuckles are the same as 4x2.
And he's going to need the balance shaft buried in the front timing chain assembly too

Thank you for the help guys. It will be quite a project and I am going to try and take pictures and document as I go so that way I can make a post on it as I haven't seen one about a 3rd Gen with the stability control yet. I am glad that the knuckles and wheel hubs are the same up front between the 4x2 and 4x4.
Yes indeed, the Ford shop manuals have simplified part numbers, and a breakdown for both drivetrains. If I can check anything else for you, let me know, I will do my best. Best wishes,
Doc

Already tracking on the balance shaft. I believe that my engine already has it but I’ll double check to make sure.

Already tracking on the balance shaft. I believe that my engine already has it but I’ll double check to make sure.
Won't need that.

Back