• Register Today It's free!

4wd front diff actuator

Scubajb22

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ford explorer
Hey all, I have a 95 explorer that I want to get to stay in 4lo it doesn’t leave the property, I took the transfer case actuator off and manually engaged it to 4lo. Is there a way to manually engage the front axle and bypass the vacuum actuator?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One way would be to install the diff from a 97+ no more cad (center axle disconnect)

Another way would be to apply vacuum to it full time
Or
Possibly just remove it and shift the axle to locked, remove the vacuum portion so it will stay in the locked position, maybe a zip tie?
Oe
With some Chevy s10 that have similar vacuum actuated cad we use a push/pull cable to replace the vacuum actuator

Hey all, I have a 95 explorer that I want to get to stay in 4lo it doesn’t leave the property, I took the transfer case actuator off and manually engaged it to 4lo. Is there a way to manually engage the front axle and bypass the vacuum actuator?
I don't know, if I am missing something. Presently I am trying too troubleshooting my 95 explorer 4lo. You need the vacuum actuator for 4wd to work. The 4 low gearing is inside the transfer case. The shift motor shift the lower gears in place. My question to you is. Is your 4 wheel drive system working? From my own experience when I set my explorer in 4low it stay there. Even when the vehicle (engine shut off and on) is turned off and on. You can turn your explorer into 4 low, go under the vehicle and disconnect the connector on the shift motor and will never shift out 4 low gearing.The vacuum actuator locks the front HUBs in place. You need vacuum too make it lock and stay locked. The 4 low system is a by product of the 4high system.The 4 high system has too work for 4 low to work.

I don't know, if I am missing something. Presently I am trying too troubleshooting my 95 explorer 4lo. You need the vacuum actuator for 4wd to work. The 4 low gearing is inside the transfer case. The shift motor shift the lower gears in place. My question to you is. Is your 4 wheel drive system working? From my own experience when I set my explorer in 4low it stay there. Even when the vehicle (engine shut off and on) is turned off and on. You can turn your explorer into 4 low, go under the vehicle and disconnect the connector on the shift motor and will never shift out 4 low gearing.The vacuum actuator locks the front HUBs in place. You need vacuum too make it lock and stay locked. The 4 low system is a by product of the 4high system.The 4 high system has too work for 4 low
I don't know, if I am missing something. Presently I am trying too troubleshooting my 95 explorer 4lo. You need the vacuum actuator for 4wd to work. The 4 low gearing is inside the transfer case. The shift motor shift the lower gears in place. My question to you is. Is your 4 wheel drive system working? From my own experience when I set my explorer in 4low it stay there. Even when the vehicle (engine shut off and on) is turned off and on. You can turn your explorer into 4 low, go under the vehicle and disconnect the connector on the shift motor and will never shift out 4 low gearing.The vacuum actuator locks the front HUBs in place. You need vacuum too make it lock and stay locked. The 4 low system is a by product of the 4high system.The 4 high system has too work for 4 low to work

I don't know, if I am missing something. Presently I am trying too troubleshooting my 95 explorer 4lo. You need the vacuum actuator for 4wd to work. The 4 low gearing is inside the transfer case. The shift motor shift the lower gears in place. My question to you is. Is your 4 wheel drive system working? From my own experience when I set my explorer in 4low it stay there. Even when the vehicle (engine shut off and on) is turned off and on. You can turn your explorer into 4 low, go under the vehicle and disconnect the connector on the shift motor and will never shift out 4 low gearing.The vacuum actuator locks the front HUBs in place. You need vacuum too make it lock and stay locked. The 4 low system is a by product of the 4high system.The 4 high system has too work for 4 low to work.
I recently installed a 96 vacuum front axle into my 98 ,was not aware of the vacuum system when I got front axle!!
What I did was very simple. Remove activator slide collar over shafts to lock in axle shafts make sure. make sure activator fork is in line with collar. Reinstall activator onto axle. Cover both vacuum connections with vacuum line caps. Unit won't move either way as long as caps remain in place.
Make sure they are tight fitting caps.

I did this over a month ago prior to snow fall & system works great

I recently installed a 96 vacuum front axle into my 98 ,was not aware of the vacuum system when I got front axle!!
What I did was very simple. Remove activator slide collar over shafts to lock in axle shafts make sure. make sure activator fork is in line with collar. Reinstall activator onto axle. Cover both vacuum connections with vacuum line caps. Unit won't move either way as long as caps remain in place.
Make sure they are tight fitting caps.

I did this over a month ago prior to snow fall & system works great
? That is only for activating engage front wheels. How did you engage 4 low?

Took of the shift motor and turned the shifting cam.

I have no clue. If you’re in 2 wheel it’ll only turn one way. It shouldn’t be hard to shift.

I have no clue. If you’re in 2 wheel it’ll only turn one way. It shouldn’t be hard to shift.
If I recall correctly your transmission needs to be in either neutral or park in order to go to 4lo

I do not know. It shouldn’t be hard to turn. If you need to do this, get under there and have a look. It’ll only go one way.

Back