4WD issue in my 1996 Ford Explorer XLT. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD issue in my 1996 Ford Explorer XLT.

41694love

Reaction score
City, State
Factoryville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Okay, this is the Mrs. speaking so I might not get all of my info right.....I am having an issue with the 4WD in the Explorer. I only run her in the winter because she has chains on to get me up a steep, windy, dirt driveway (while my minivan, yes, I said minivan, stays at the bottom of the driveway). Anyway, been using it for the PA winters for many years now but this year, the 4WD is giving me an issue. Some years ago, it seemed that 4WD high stopped working. It engaged - you could hear it - but it wouldn't work. That wasn't a huge issue, I just used 4WD low for a good number of years. Now, that has seemed to stop working too. Again, you can hear it engage when you put in N and shift it in but it doesn't actually work. Sometimes, the indicator light does come on and it seems it's working but part way up the driveway (over 1000 ft), the indicator lights blink, go out and 4WD is clearly lost (this I know because I go from being able to go up driveway to digging manhole size ruts in the ice). My honey thinks all will be good if he buys the manual but I was hoping to skip that step and see if anyone here had ideas. He can fix pretty much any issue - just need to figure out what the issue is. Thanks anyone for any help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!
You picked the right place to look for help. Your T-case is gear driven, and you either have manual or automatic hubs in front. It sounds as you have the electric shift 1354 case.

Okay. We need to do a little testing to figure this out on the cheap. Finding out which part is giving you headaches and such. As we progress here, more will chime in and offer advice and help, so stay patient.

Items to check off here as we do an elimination process.

Hubs-auto or manual?
Autos fail and break inside after years of abuse. If anything inside cracks on either side, you will lose 4x4. Manuals will break in a manner where you can see from the outside.

To check your auto hubs, we need to remove the wheels. Inspect for excess grease, contaminants, and broken parts. They might come off the axle in 2 parts, that's okay.

Manual hubs are simple and straight forward to check. Look for cracks, and or busted parts.

T-case.
With the trans in Neutral, we need to climb under the vehicle and have someone inside to operate the shifter and 4wd buttons.
1) 2wd-Spin the front drive shaft by hand. It should free spin.
(The front shaft is not engaged in the t-case)
2) 4wd-Spin the front shaft by hand. It should not spin free, like in 2wd.
(The front shaft is now engaged inside the t-case)
3) 4wd-Reach in to grab the axles themselves on both sides one at a time. Spin them forward. They should not free spin.
(If they spin, the hubs are damaged)

4x4 lights flashing.
Loss of engagement. Overheating, ABS.
We need to know the fluid levels and condition in the t-case. Low or broken down fluids will heat up the case. Very simple to change the fluids with ATF using the drain and fill holes.

Check these things and get back to us, or someone else may have some more things for you to check out as well.

You can do this, and we can help :)

Okay, so I have to correct a couple of things. Yes, I was wrong, it's rare but it happens. The Explorer is a 1996 - not sure how much difference that makes. It has the Auto Hubs on it. Thanks for the info and please keep anything you have coming!! He'll check what you guys think this weekend :)

What kind of minivan do you have?

Praying_Kid_Link.jpg

:D

Being a 96 makes all the world of a difference. Completely different 4wd set up than the 91-94. Forget just about everything that was said in my previous post.

The 96 comes with a control trac 4wd system. The front hubs are just giant wheel bearings. They are not in play with the 4wd problems.

Search for 4405 trouble shooting in the same sub forum this thread is located in. Tons of threads and even stickies.

Back