4wd light flashing and P1850 and P1854 codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd light flashing and P1850 and P1854 codes

STL_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB 4x4
My 98 Eddie Bauer Explorer with auto 4wd is doing the 6 flash dance with the 4x4 HIGH light and 4x4 LOW light . I was fortunate enough to be able to read the codes from the GEM and found that the following codes were present: P1850, P1854, and P1866.

Here is how they break out:
P1850 Transmission Transfer Case Contact Plate 'B' Circuit Failure
P1854 Transmission Transfer Case Contact Plate 'C' Circuit Failure
P1866 Transmission Transfer Case System Concern - Servicing Required

Can somone translate this into DIY English?!?!

Are P1850 and P1854 related or caused by the infamous bad plastic bushing in the 4x4 Shift motor? I think the 1998 has the Borg Warner 4405 in it.

The only troubleshooting procedure I have seen is at http://www.justanswer.com/JA/ASP_A/T_68991/TR/1998-ford-explorer.htm. Procedure III.

Where should I begin?

Thanks!

The first thing I'd do is remove the shift motor from the transfer case (but still electrically connected to the vehicle) and check to make sure its at least moving as you rotate the switch from 4HI -> 4LO.

You are on the right track :thumbsup: Chances are, it is the shift motor.

Thanks IZwack, I hope I'm on the right track.

Can anyone confirm what codes will be thrown if you have the bushing problem that is described here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542

"The back of the large gear has a stud with a plastic bushing (cushion) over it that hits the stop. This bushing is what can cause many of the problems with the shift motor losing its place and getting lost. What happens is, over time, this bushing gets deformed and allows the large gear to rotate just enough past the stop to make the computer lose track of the position."

If the computer loses track of the position, what codes will the GEM module display?

Back