4WD Low - Blinking Indicator Switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD Low - Blinking Indicator Switch

Squilax

Reaction score
City, State
Holtwood, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I have a 2002 Explorer XLT that I bought used in January 2004.

When I select 4WD HIGH, I have no problems at all with 4WD HIGH working. The 4WD HIGH indicator lights up on the instrument panel all four wheels grab. However, when I push the selector button for 4WD LOW, the indicator light blinks a few times then shuts off. I don’t think 4WD engages in the LOW setting, but am not sure. The traction doesn’t feel the same as when it’s in 4WD HIGH.

I have tried turning off the O/D and putting the gear selector in L (first gear), but the LOW indicator still blinks and then shuts off.

2 weeks ago, I replaced both front hub/bearing assemblies but this still occurs. Therefore, I don’t think it has to do with the hubs themselves. My guess is that I have a defective indicator or switch.

Is there something else I should be checking out? I warned you all in my introductory post that I am “mechanically challenged”… ;)

Thanks.

Steve

to activate low (at least on 91-01 explorer) you must be stopped, foot on brake, in nuetral and already in 4x4 high to engage 4lo

Thanks jimbo!

I'll try that.

Steve

When I got to my truck, I started it up, put it in 4WD HIGH, then with my foot on the brake, shifted to neutral. I pushed the 4WD LOW selector and guess what happened?

The switch started blinking again only this time after a couple seconds, the light stayed on continuously and the indicator lit up on the dash "4WD LOW"!

Thanks - now I am no longer ignorant about one more thing on this vehicle. I appreciate the help! :D

Back