4WD / Low Range selector switch wiring. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD / Low Range selector switch wiring.

CropdusterDoug

Reaction score
City, State
Sparks, Nv
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
I had my 1992 Explorer at a 4WD shop to fix the Low Range to engage. Even after replacing the shift motor on the case, it still didn't shift to Low Range? Part of the wiring check was to remove the dashboard and selector switch to have access to the wiring. Somehow, they determined that the speed sensor and neutral switch needed to be replaced...that it was somehow related to the Low Range shift problem? Okay, so I just replaced the speed sensor and neutral switch today. Still no Low Range? In the process of that shop removing the old brittle plastic dash, all of the attachment points had broken off. They left it loose, but in position...sort of. I decided to pull the plastic dash cover off and modify it to use screws to attach it into position. When I pulled the dash off, all 8 of the wires that are supposed to be clipped firmly into position in the connector that plugs into the back of the 4WD / Low Range selector switch, pulled out of the connector. This happened when I was barely pulling on the dash cover? I did notice that the wire ends were turned the wrong way that only a couple of the connectors were properly in the clips inside the connector. Also, the connector itself was cracked. Anyway, to make a long story longer, I have 8 color coded wires loose and have no way to figure out in what position they attach into the plug connector? After many hours of searching, I still haven't found even one wiring diagram showing the color code position inside the plug connector as to their proper position. Can somebody out in forum land take a look at their wiring and help me with the color code positions? Until then, I have 8 wires sticking out of the dash, and me wondering what I'll do next?

Back