4WD Not engaging?????PLEASE HELP???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD Not engaging?????PLEASE HELP????

coreygalyk13

Reaction score
City, State
Marion, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
Well we got alot alot of snow here latly and I have a 2002 Explorer 4WD with the 4.0l and my 4WD will not engage not even 4X4 auto will...it stays in RWD at all times and when I press the button to engage it the light doesnt even light up like its attempting to engage. no click nothing...I dont even think the switch is getting power...can any help me please its already slid into the ditch once and dont want it to happen again...please help and thanks for any and all input

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I came on here tonight to search for why mine wont disengage from 4x4 high.I dont hear the clicking on the passenger side dash either.Seems like every other night I am coming on here to try and solve something....its getting old.

For the original poster, the issue is more than likely the 4wd control module. It's a fairly common problem with the '02-'05 4x4s, and it's getting to be a fairly common issue. However, it's only a guess... without going through the full diagnostics, it's almost impossible to say for sure, but like I said, it's the most common issue with a failure to engage on an '02-'05...

Good luck!

For the original poster, the issue is more than likely the 4wd control module. It's a fairly common problem with the '02-'05 4x4s, and it's getting to be a fairly common issue. However, it's only a guess... without going through the full diagnostics, it's almost impossible to say for sure, but like I said, it's the most common issue with a failure to engage on an '02-'05...

Good luck!

What about a 01 sport trac?Thats what mine is.

An '01 Trac is different... If my memory serves, the system is more like the system in the 1st-gens, but don't quote me on that... I'd need to peruse the service manuals in the morning first before I could even wager a guess...

-Joe

Where is this 4x4 control module located? I have the same problem with my 02 X

Thx.

More than likely its the module like on my 01 sport trac check your fuses first!
Power goes from fuse to the switch then the module then to the selector on the transfer case IMO
Module is on pass side kick panel on my 01 sport trac!

I have an 02 Eddie Bauer and I had a similar problem, mine would not engage into 4x4 High or Low. The indicator light would flash on and off as I pressed the switch to engage.
It ended up being the 4x4 CM, located behind the Glove Box on the 02.

Hey i have a 93 explore i had the same problem with my 4x4 would not work as well so i came here to find out why. I did what this thread said to do and now it works... I dont know if the years are diffrent or not sorry but hey give it a shot good luck

LINK http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97004
Dennis

Hi Folks, I am new here and living in Ireland with what I believe is the only (or one of very few) 3rd generation Explorer XLTs.. I need your help.

I just purchased my truck (4.0L SOHC XLT) and am very happy with it but I know the 4x4 is not working. If I engage either 4Hi or 4Lo, the correct lights on the dash illuminate. When I press the 4Hi button, I do not hear a click from the 4x4 control module, but like I said the 4Hi light illuminates and stays lit. I do hear a click when I press the 4Lo button and also I hear what I believe to be the transfer case selector motor moving the gears to the low range. But if I raise a front wheel, with the engine off I can spin it freely by hand. I don't think this is correct. It does spin the drive shaft and front axle back into the transfer case but is not locked to the rear axle as I would expect.

From reading around the web I know there is a electromagnetic clutch inside the transfer case. I believe the 3rd generation differs slightly from earlier models so this is where I need the help.

Does anyone know what the most common failures are with the 3rd generation 4wd clutch? I suspect either the "electromagnetic" aspects of it no longer function or else the 'locking collar' is not operative. I don't think the position sensor in the shift selector motor could cause this right?

Any suggestions for learning more / further diagnostics?

Thanks.

Because the transfer case uses an electromagnetic clutch to lock the front and rear outputs (it's actually a little more complicated than that, but that's another discussion for another thread), with the ignition off, power is cut to the clutch, and the front driveline is disconnected from the rear.

Also, at idle, the duty cycle of the clutch in the transfer case remains low until you give it some gas, so even with the key on and engine running, stopped in park with the wheels in the air, the front shaft may still turn with little resistance.

The easiest way to troubleshoot it is to find a loose surface (i.e. loose gravel) and have someone outside verify that all four tires (or at least one front and one rear) did when you goose it.

But if the lights are coming on as they should, it sounds to me like it's working just they way it should.

-Joe

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Are you certain of that? From reading a fairly detailed description (here), the electromagnetic clutch is only used to bring the front axle to the same speed as the rear axle progressively.... if of course the transition to 4wd is being done at speed. I can imagine this working the way you describe for new cars as its obviously desirable behaviour but mine is a 2002 early model explorer.

All I am doing is engaing 4wd, rolling at about 2 or 3 mph and then stopping the car. I think the axles should be locked after this procedure. ie. that they will stay locked even when the engine is switched off. Up until I change back to 2wd.

I am trying to find a nice slippy spot to do some practicals but I really believe it won't work.

That FixYa site does not have the correct information for your particular truck. Your truck has the Control Trac Automatic 4 Wheel Drive system. You do not have the ESOF function of the transfer case. My information came from the Ford factory service manuals. The Borg-Warner 44-11 transfer case is functionally the same as the 44-05 used in the second-generation Explorers. You also have a live front axle, so there is no need to spool anything up when shifting on the fly as everything is already spinning at road speed.

When you shift from 4auto to 4high, nothing changes except the duty cycle of the transfer case clutch coil (it ramps up to full duty cycle until you come to a stop). So, given what you are doing, when it's stopped, if you lift the front wheels off the ground, key on or key off, you certainly may be able to turn the front driveshaft. That doesn't mean the system isn't working, it just means the system is not locking the case when you're stopped (just like it's programmed to do).

Unless you have some significant internal damage inside the transfer case, on yours, if the light comes on, the system is working exactly as it should.

Thanks Again. Although I think I've taken 3 steps forward and 2 steps back in terms of knowledge. LOL So with control track, the hubs must be normal hubs and neither manual nor auto locking.. right?

Which vehicles do have ESOF then? I innocently assumed the buttons = ESOF, shift stick = not ESOF. The owners manual metions control track and a brief note about Electronic shift control. But nothing I have clarifies exactly whats in the car SIGH!

Anyhow ... looking up control trac I found (this).

The above link suggests the 4Hi and 4Lo lockout the electromagnetic clutch even in control trac equipped vehicles to ensure 50/50 torque front and rear. This would seem to agree with the other link on fixya. So I still think I have a problem.

I'll try the road test but without experience of 4wd's I'm not sure I know exactly what I am trying to observe.... is it all 4 wheels spinning without the truck moving an a corresponding speed? Sounds like thread damage unless I go onto the beach or something. I also read about 'feeling' binding or torque wind up but I think I'd miss it and explode my transfer case or something.

UPDATE: Road Test. So I found an area with a decent covering of green slippy moss & foliage. Mind you only about 100 foot of runway and as I've discovered this beast can haul ass - so not a lot of room!

In 4Hi, on the 2nd attempt, the front wheels lifted the green stuff off the ground and left a noticeable tear-up where they were stopped. They would not do this unless they had spun! So yippee -- it does work afterall.

In Auto, I could not make the front wheels spin. I presume I would need a longer runway to give the system time to detect the rear axle slipage, and for the slip to continue long enough to warrant it clutching in the front axle?

So with control track, the hubs must be normal hubs and neither manual nor auto locking.. right?

Correct. Think of the 'hubs' as not being locking hubs, but they typy of hub you would find on a front wheel drive car.

Which vehicles do have ESOF then? I innocently assumed the buttons = ESOF, shift stick = not ESOF. The owners manual metions control track and a brief note about Electronic shift control. But nothing I have clarifies exactly whats in the car SIGH!

In the states, the Ranger pickup, full size trucks, super duty pickups, and *some* Explorers (first-generation, from 1991 to 1994)Expeditions/Navigators. Across the pond? No clue.

Anyhow ... looking up control trac I found (this).

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The errors in that article are too numerous to dissect in a single post here. The majority of the Ford information is incorrect, misleading, or both. The person who wrote that article was right on some stuff, but significantly wrong on most of the Ford-related stuff.

The above link suggests the 4Hi and 4Lo lockout the electromagnetic clutch even in control trac equipped vehicles to ensure 50/50 torque front and rear. This would seem to agree with the other link on fixya. So I still think I have a problem.

It does, and it doesn't. Id does when you're driving down the road, but it's not like sliding a lockup collar in a conventional transfer case. Think of it as a pair of pliers gripping a part. You can vary how tightly you grip the part, or stop gripping it all together. That's how the system works. It does not act like a center differential. it acts like an on-demand, instantly-applied transfer case. It can split the torque from a f/r 0/100 split up to a 50/50 split, but cannot split it to a 100/0 split EVER.

In Auto, I could not make the front wheels spin. I presume I would need a longer runway to give the system time to detect the rear axle slipage, and for the slip to continue long enough to warrant it clutching in the front axle?

In auto, on the same loose surface, hang your head out the window and watch the rear tire. Brake-torque the truck until the rear wheels break loose, and they'll rotate about 1/8-1/4 of a turn and the t-case will lock for a split second, then unlock again almost before you can blink. Trust me, it's working. The fact that 4high works all but guarantees it. Have a little faith in the electronics.

Slightly different question: Can/Should this car be brake tested on a roller?

I will have to do a road-worthiness test in the next couple weeks. Normally they use a roller but for certain 4x4s they are supposed to do a road test with a decelerometer inside the car. I've seen people complaining that the 'tester' didn't realise and roller tested the car and caused damage. One guy seemed chuffed that his car shot off the roller and the tester tried several times, each with the same result. I'd be furious I have to say.

My concern is, depending on whether the Explorer is set up to detect wheel slip on the rear axle or different rotation speeds of the front vs rear axles, when they put either axle on the roller and it starts moving, the truck might engage 4wd and it would not be pretty ;)

Your concern is a good one. The answer is Yes and no... The 4wd Explorer *can* be tested on a set of rollers (we call it a dynamometer here in the states), but it must be done on a 4-wheel dynamometer, not a rear-wheel-only dyno.

Now, in your case, if the shop insisted (or if it was cheaper), it would be possible to remove the front driveshaft and perform the test on a rear-wheels-only dynamometer, but it should not be necessary. I'm sure there are other automatic 4wd and all wheel drive vehicles in your country that require the test, and I'm sure there are ways to accommodate it, be it a 4-wheel dyno (sometimes called a rolling-road), or through the in-car testing you mentioned.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well we got alot alot of snow here latly and I have a 2002 Explorer 4WD with the 4.0l and my 4WD will not engage not even 4X4 auto will...it stays in RWD at all times and when I press the button to engage it the light doesnt even light up like its attempting to engage. no click nothing...I dont even think the switch is getting power...can any help me please its already slid into the ditch once and dont want it to happen again...please help and thanks for any and all input

Back