4wd operation 2001 XLT

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
Looking at a 2001 XLT Sport 4WD for a friend of mine.

While in park (i was unable to move the vehicle as it was in the absolute middle of the lot) I was not able to engage 4Lo. 4Hi worked but 4lo wouldn't engage. Do I have to move so the front hubs engage before I can get low to engage? Just want to make sure the system isn't damaged because the vehicle was either a repo or seizure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no one?

NEVER!!!! Yes, I did say never buy a vehicle you can't personally drive. Have it moved out so you can drive it. If they won't move it, don't buy it. As for 4lo my 92 Ex would take some time to move to 4lo, other times it would go right it. So guess it all depends on how everything in the drive-line is lined up.

NEVER!!!! Yes, I did say never buy a vehicle you can't personally drive. Have it moved out so you can drive it. If they won't move it, don't buy it. As for 4lo my 92 Ex would take some time to move to 4lo, other times it would go right it. So guess it all depends on how everything in the drive-line is lined up.

i didnt ask to drive it. It was just a quick take a quick look at it and see if it's worth bringing my friend who lives 45min away out to see it.

You must be stopped, in NEUTRAL with your foot on the brakes, then flip the switch into or out of 4low. It should work then.

-Joe

You must be stopped, in NEUTRAL with your foot on the brakes, then flip the switch into or out of 4low. It should work then.

-Joe

Ok thats what i thought.

Back