• Register Today It's free!

4WD Problem

dolcPlyr7

Reaction score
City, State
Dalton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
A quick question...I've got a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT with Control Trac 4WD. I haven't used the 4WD system in about 7-8 years, (we keep it on the pavement). I just leave the switch in Automatic. Just today, I was turning around in my driveway and just decided to test the system. It worked fine for about 3 min. then, when putting it into reverse and turning the wheel a muffled popping sound could be heard. I then turned the 4wd off and got onto the road. I got curious again and switched the 4WD back on at a stop sign. After taking off, a loud whining sound came from under the hood when I turned. It almost sounded like I was low on power steering fluid. But fluid levels are fine...any ideas?

. It worked fine for about 3 min. then, when putting it into reverse and turning the wheel a muffled popping sound could be heard.

After taking off, a loud whining sound came from under the hood when I turned. It almost sounded like I was low on power steering fluid.

Never switch on your 4x4 low range on anything but "Loose ground surface" ie..dirt, mud, rocks, ice, snow.

You can break expensive parts doing this. The system should be used at least once a month to keep the fluids moving and the components covered in gear oil.

Your CV Axles are like a fuse for the system, They break to save the differentials/t-case from breaking. Driving in 4x4 low on the pavement will (hopefully) break them. Thus saving you very, very, costly repairs to your driveline parts.

Back