• Register Today It's free!

4wd service required light

Dave1980

Reaction score
City, State
plano,il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Hello guys this is my first post on this forum :) I just purchased a 2017 Explorer sport a few months ago since then i have put on around 800 miles on it. Today i took a drive and all of a sudden i get 4wd service required pop up on the dash with the wrench. I can only drive in active mode so i drove it home right away. I try to do most of my own wrenching ( i have changed timing belts, full suspension systems oil changes etc. ) I am going to start with cleaning the maf sensor and throttle body and see if that has any affect.. has anyone come across this before ? i cant imagine it is anything serious since the vehicle drives fine in active mode. Thanks

Welcome to the Forum Dave. :wave:
I don't think I've heard that term "active mode" before and couldn't find it in the Manual either. I believe what it does is it goes into FWD only.
I wasn't able to find a similar thread but there are several posts talking about "advance trac" issues.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Dave. :wave:
I don't think I've heard that term "active mode" before and couldn't find it in the Manual either. I believe what it does is it goes into FWD only.
I wasn't able to find a similar thread but there are several posts talking about "advance trac" issues.

Peter
I believe i fixed it. I reset everything ( disconnected neg battery cable and shorted out to the positive ) removed the throttle body and MAF sensor cleaned both real good and put everything back together. Let the vehicle idle for about 20 minutes then test drove about 30 miles. I did notice the positive battery cable was not tight and the hose clamp closest to the throttle body was loose maybe causing an air flow issue.. not sure but drives even better now with no service lights.

Back