• Register Today It's free!

4WD Shifting Problems

WNYBroncoBill

Reaction score
City, State
Western New York State
Year, Model & Trim Level
3X88-90 Bronco II
I just purchased a 90 Bronco II 4WD, 5-speed with the automatic 4WD hubs. When it is shifted into 4WD, it goes in fine. I will not come out of 4WD unless you tap the transfer case with a hammer near the encoder motor.

Any ideas what is wrong with this vehicle?

Thanks,

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its push button 4x4? are the hubs unlocking?

sounds like might be the shifting motor... or maybe a stripped gear...

sounds like time for a conversion to manual

4wd

FutureX,

What kind of a job is the auto 4WD to manual conversion? Is it just changing a shift from the encoder motor or does it need a different transfer case? and possibly the front hubs?

Thanks,

Bill

Changing to a manual normally requires swapping the t-case.

It's not hard to do though. When you get the case, just be sure to get the shifter, boot and floor plate all from the donor truck that has the case. Then swap it all into yours.
Also be sure to get one that will have the correct shifter (it varies by transmission, A4LD, FM146 and M5OD ones I believe are all the same, or are similar enough to work. Yours most likely is the FM146 transmission)

Thanks,

I will look for a transfer case with the shifter, boot and floor plate.

Bill

sorry for the long response,

yah depending on your tranny it should be as easy just swaping out the t-case and cutting the hole in the floor for the manual lever.... the hub conversion is also pretty simple (get the kit from warn).

If the transfer case is swapped for a manual case and shifter, do the automatic 4x4 hubs need to be replaced with manual hubs or will the automatic hubs work with the manual case?

Also, this vehicle has the optional aluminum wheels. Will manual hubs work with these wheels? I notice that the wheel centers are different than the steel wheels.

Thanks,

Bill

sorry for the long response,

yah depending on your tranny it should be as easy just swaping out the t-case and cutting the hole in the floor for the manual lever.... the hub conversion is also pretty simple (get the kit from warn).

Ummm... That's what the floor plate is for. No need to cut anything, just swap the plate that's screwed to the bottom of your floor.

And yes, your auto hubs will continue to work fine. HOWEVER, you will not be able to shift it on the fly (the manual case does not have a clutch to spin up the front driveline before engaging). You will have to come to a stop (or under 3 MPH) before shifting it into 4WD from 2WD.

I would strongly suggest also swapping manual hubs on it though. Not only are the hubs MUCH stronger and more reliable, with them locked, you can then again shift back & forth from 4WD to 2WD & back again at any speed without having the gears clash.

Manual hubs are the same physical size, so your wheels won't be an issue.

Looking down the road...if and when you go to a D35 front axle. Which his a popular upgrade for the BIIs.
And you go to buy Warn manual hubs, go the Jeep route. Get the ones that are for the rear 8.8 axles that are listed for the Jeeps.
Warn does not show that they interchange, but they do and don't let anybody tell you their not heavier and stronger. I've had both the ones for the Dana 35 front axle out off an Exploder and the ones for the jeep. The Jeeps are stronger. My hunch that their stronger is that the Jeeps are more in use, since it's for the rear axle.
And if you have a 4x4 parts store near you, just ask to see both types side by side. You'll acutally feel the difference.

FutureX, 4x4Junkie and Rookieshooter,

Thanks very much for your input. I do believe that a manual shifter and manual hubs are much better than the automatic "shift on the fly" versions. I have had good experience with the manual setup on a 1988 Bronco II that I have had for 12 years. It is now a snow plow.

I have owned 4 Blazers with push button 4WD and have had problems with the encoder motor, front differential servo, transmission vacuum switch, electronic shift module and vacuum lines.

This experience makes it a priority to change over the 90 Bronco to a manual setup. I'm sure that the automatic version was designed for people who either don't know how to shift a manual transfer case and hubs or who would find the floor shift lever somehow unpleasing.

Thanks again.

Bill

Back