• Register Today It's free!

4WD switch test questions

Fulwood

Reaction score
City, State
Macon, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Not sure exactly where this belongs but since it eventually sorta controls the differential.....

I'm having a problem with new (to me) '97 Explorer XLT 4WD w/Automatic Trans. 4 High light will come on when switched from 4 Auto but 4 Low light will not. Bulb is not blown (comes on momentarily after each engine start). I searched all over the site and could not find the solution, only found that 3 other members are having same problem with various models with both auto and manual transmissions.

To start my search I tried to check the switch with a multimeter. I get 0.0 Ohms across pins 1 & 4 in all switch positions. Across pins 1 & 2, 1 & 3 meter reads open circuit. With the leads on pins 2 & 3 I get 0.4, 1.3, and 3.4 ohms as the switch is moved through it's 3 positions.

1- Am I checking it correctly?
2- Are these values within limits?
3- If so, where are the relays and module(s) located that the switch activates, so that I may next test and/or replace those?
4- Any other ideas of what might be wrong?

Thanks, Donnie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let first make sure your putting it in 4low correctly. With the truck in 4HI and the light illuminated, put your foot on the brake, and shift the truck into neutral. Now shift it over to 4Low and wait up to 30 seconds for the light to switch over then put the truck in gear. If you hear a click/crunch/etc then your in 4LOW. To put it back in 4HI just do the reverse put truck in neutral with brake, shift in 4HI, put it back in gear, make sure 4LOW is no longer illuminated. Then put it back into 4auto.

Let first make sure your putting it in 4low correctly. With the truck in 4HI and the light illuminated, put your foot on the brake, and shift the truck into neutral. Now shift it over to 4Low and wait up to 30 seconds for the light to switch over then put the truck in gear. If you hear a click/crunch/etc then your in 4LOW. To put it back in 4HI just do the reverse put truck in neutral with brake, shift in 4HI, put it back in gear, make sure 4LOW is no longer illuminated. Then put it back into 4auto.

Thanks for the quick reply. Tried it again following your instructions twice. Waited 30 secs first time, 1 min. 2nd time. No luck, stays in 4 high.

Donnie

Those switch values sound correct(close), I have just recently seen the values for the Explorer and Expedition. It's not the switch.

Those switch values sound correct(close), I have just recently seen the values for the Explorer and Expedition. It's not the switch.

Thanks Don.

Since it probably ain't the switch, I guess I'll try to figure out where all the relays are next and how to test them. I found the TOD relay under the dash to the right of the radio. I gather from reading some of the how-to stuff on the forum that there is also a Transfer Case Shift Relay somewhere. I need to figure out where it is and check those before I start swapping out control modules and shift motor. (When I don't know what I'm doing I always try to swap the cheapest part in the system first and work my way toward poverty from there.)

Anyone know where the Tcase shift relay is on a 97 Explorer XLT?

I assume that is the part some call a 4WD module, it's mounted in the same radio hole, on the far left, below the GEM module. It is small like the TOD module, gray with a few wires, on the side of the fiberglass steering column. I'm pondering using Expedition parts to control my BW4406 TC if I think I can make it work. Regards,

Back