• Register Today It's free!

4wd to 2wd conversion question.

Acid0atm3al

Reaction score
City, State
Nixa, mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 xlt
ok, i got all of the suspension parts i need for the front, but i have a question....

my truck has a transfer case of course. i was wondering when i swap out the front drive crap, can i just remove the drive shaft to the front from the transfer case and call it good?

if not can i remove the transfer case and use a 2wd rear driveline?

thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..:scratch:...I'm just curious of what your final 2wd result is going to be???

...are you just trying to get rid of some weight???...What spurred pulling the front end parts off of a part time 4wd??

i dont ever have a need for 4wd, and my hubs are bad anyway, save some weight, slightly better fuel mileage, and so i can porperly lower it to get rid of some wheel gap

You can do the swap but your prob gonna have to swap out your transmission. The 4wd explorers had a different output shaft to bolt up to the transfer-case. The 2wd used a longer output shaft off the trans to work with the longer housing for the driveshaft. I could be mistaken though, best check it out with somones that's done the swap.

ok, i got all of the suspension parts i need for the front, but i have a question....

my truck has a transfer case of course. i was wondering when i swap out the front drive crap, can i just remove the drive shaft to the front from the transfer case and call it good?

if not can i remove the transfer case and use a 2wd rear driveline?

thanks guys

You say you have the suspension parts, but do you have the proper mount on the passenger side for the Drivers Side I-beam?

You can keep your trans, and just lose the front driveshaft. I would disconnect the button in the dash though.

The BII's did a very similar thing FROM THE FACTORY. If you ordered a 2WD BroncoII, all Ford did was ship it with a gutted Transfercase, and used the short 4x4 rear driveshaft, and no front Driveshaft (Obviously). There are no adverse effects of doing it this way.

When it comes time for a transmission replacement (and there WILL come a time) I would suggest going with a proper 2WD trans at that time.

Ryan

im picking the parts up tomorrow.

so here is a list of what i need comparing part numbers (4wd against 2wd) in my lmc book.

--------------------------------------------------------
shocks

radius arms

driver side radius arm mount

I-beams

Calipers

Rotors

hubs

sway bar

am i missing anything? all steering components bolt up correct?

Shocks, radius arms, and calipers should be the same from 2WD to 4WD, although the 4WD parts are sometimes a little stouter.

A transmission is a transmission, I'm pretty sure they didn't made longer ones for the 2WD's and shorter ones for the 4WDs. You can get a 2WD driveshaft and lose the extra weight and friction of a transfer case, but you'd also need the rear part to the 2WD tranny the driveshaft mounts to. It's fine to use the transfer case for now, and get the tranny part & driveshaft when you find someone parting out their ride with a busted tranny.

ok, so i dont need the coil springs, new shocks, radius arms or calipers?

and as previously asked, the steering components (drag link, pitman arm, tie rods) should all work, correct?

You'll probably want the coil springs since the 4WD springs are probably a little heavier duty than the 2WD springs. Aren't you going to get lowering springs for the front anyway, though? You might save some dough in the meantime just using the springs you have and going straight to lowering springs.

I'm not sure if the 2WD radius arms have the same spacing front to rear or top to bottom around the front I-beams versus the TTB, but you could measure to be sure.

Shocks are the same on all 91-94 Explorers. Pretty sure calipers are, too.

Steering components should be the same, you'll just wind up detaching the tie rods from the spindles and sticking them back in the new ones. If anything the only thing you'd have to do is get new outer tie rods for the 2WD spindles if they don't fit.

what about the transmission ? how is it going to act with no t-case behind it isn't it strictly a 4wd trans also , does he need to swap trans correct me if i am wrong ?

oops just read the above thread lol sorry

why dont you just keep the transfer case in so you can have 2wd high and 2wd low;)

hmm....question guys.... i was going to pay 350 for all the parts i need off a 2wd explorer...however i just got quoted 150 for everything i need off of an 88 ranger....are the parts the same? will they work?

The Brakes on the Ranger are smaller.

And the total width is slightly narrower on the Ranger. If you use ALL the parts from the Ranger, you can do it. But I wouldn't.

Ryan

You live in Missouri and NEVER have need of 4WD? I don't buy it. :p: I grew up in Joplin and live outside of Columbia now:

snowwheelin.jpg

You could save a lot of money, time, and effort by just replacing your hubs with the Warn manual conversion kit for $150-200. I also don't think you'll see any significant increase in MPG. Even if it's 1 MPG, that'll take a LONG time to pay for itself.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you do!

Back