• Register Today It's free!

4x2 Coil Springs

baddawg

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XL 2WD
When I was putting in new balljoints and shocks I discovered my coil spring was cracked at the top on the drivers side.

My Ford suspension code was a "Z" and those springs are not available any longer. I had a hard time finding new springs of any kind for this truck. Most of the suppliers here no longer stocking for this truck and Ford has 8 springs in stock for all of North America among the 6 different springs that were put into this truck....saw it with my own eyes :eek: . I suspect the aftermarket for parts in the US is better.

I eventually found a place that said they could get some. MOOGS for C$220/pair or cheapies for C$88/pair. I went with the cheapies as I believe there is a few years left in this truck only. These coils had an extra turn in them and were tighter at the top.

HERE is my problem..... AS the springs are identical the mounting points are not identical. On the passenger side the mounting point is obvious as the upper mount point is well defined a bend identifying the end of the coil rests there. ON the drivers side there is no obvious location and I do not have a reference point as the spring was broken. DOES anybody have and idea where the upper end on the coil rests as I get a mild to moderate clunks on large bumps now.

Anybody with a 91 - 94 could you look and see where the upper end of the coil rests on the driver side. Inside, front, rear, or outside edges of mount point?

shoot me a eamil addy....ill send u a few pics of my 94

Back