• Register Today It's free!

4x4 auto hub rebuild

joeindunsmuir

Reaction score
City, State
Dunsmuir
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
im writing 2 ask if there is any thread or info out there on rebuilding auto hubs on my 94 ford exploer

Ford serviced the hub as an assembly, $400±. No procedures required.

Everyone who services your wheel bearings leaves out another important piece. Shims and washers slip over the end of the spindle and must be removed to access the wheel bearing nut. They are many, greasy and slippery.

When the axle turns, it rotates a cam which forces a coupler into the spline inside the hub's housing. With a few missing shims and thrust washers, this baby starts running on a toenail.

There is a cir-clip, which must be pried out while pushing against the spring, holding the mechanism in the housing. A snap ring holds the sealed bearing, which is widely available, and allows the hub to free wheel.

Get some junk yard hubs. You'll need them for spare plastic shims, cams and other parts. They may be a road map to how the thing should be assembled. The parts that slip on the spindle are often missing.

These units do not require much care. A fresh light grease worked into the sliding areas will do. Too much grease can cause the unit to fail to disengage; the spring has to push the cam back to disengage the hub.

When I 4-wheel Death Valley in the summer, I do not want to get out and turn the Warn hubs.

any postings of spare auto hub parts appreciated inside hub tangled wave spring :/

Back