4x4 Auto | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Auto

07LTDDSM

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac LTD
When you press 4x4 Auto how do you know its in auto mode or when its kicking in? When I put the ST in 4x4Hi or 4x4Low the dash icon lights up, but I dont see anything when I push 4x4 Auto.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Me well I checked current to the actuators and also the hubs. I'm talking in general to be sure. I know what you mean cause my last vehicle was a Jeep with Quadratrack. Give me a lever over push buttons. Before I bought this X I had a heads up on this trans and 4x4 systems. i should have listened a little more about this trans.

Its always in 4 Auto so no light. When you hit the 4x4 lock/ low your not in the normal mode so there is a light. Hitting 4 Auto turns the lights off and puts you back in Auto mode. imo-In a way there is no need to have a light on while in Auto.

The heeps had a message center that showed all 4 wheels, they would leave the rear wheel light lite, but with mine after 10 years it burned out.

So we are in 4x4 Auto at all times? I thought it was just RWD until you hit 4x4 Auto. So how do I know when my front tires engage? Is there a light?

Well, it usually is RWD all the time. If your rear wheels start to slip, 4WD kicks in automatically and usually remains until normal driving is resumed. You may feel it go in and out of 4WD depending on how you're driving, but that's what 4 Auto is all about. If you're entering a snowy mountain pass, you can just hit the 4X4 Hi button and lock it in until you release it. Pretty much, all electric 4WD vehicles are like this.

Loren R is correct, in 4 Auto it runs in 2wd unless the computer detects wheel slippage. You will feel it kick in and the slippy light will come on on the dash for a few seconds. Personally I don't like the jerking around in bad weather so if there is snow everywhere I just lock it in 4 Hi.

Back