• Register Today It's free!

4x4 auto?

Boomyal

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Ltd
I have a 2006 V8 4x4. When I put it in 4 Wheel Hi, I get a little amber 4x4 lite in the instrument cluster. If I push the button for 4x4 Auto, I get no notification light.

Is there some indicator that might not be working?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, in auto it only lights up when the RSC system automatically engages the transfer case to 4x4 mode and disengages when the wheels are no longer slipping.

No, in auto it only lights up when the RSC system automatically engages the transfer case to 4x4 mode and disengages when the wheels are no longer slipping.

So that means that you could get a flashing indicator light as the system engages and disengages?

I probably should have left it in 4x4 Auto longer. We are having one of the longest snowfall that I can remember. I took my Explorer out for the first time to test the 4 wheel drive. People were slipping and sliding all over the place.

I've never seen ours light up in any way when the Auto is working, since it's just temporary anyways. The traction control light may flash on briefly.

I hate to hyjack your thread but this maybe of some interest to you.

Same with mine as you mentioned but mine concerns 4X4 LOW.

So far I have only managed to get mine to engage once. If I press the Four wheel drive "LOW" button, I get no amber light on the dash.

I have tried several things. Putting the vehicle in neutral at a complete stop before pressing the button. Nothing.

Pressed the button while in drive but not moving, nothing.

Tried moving at 5 mph then pressed the button. Nothing.

Does the vehicle have to be moving at a slow speed for so many feet before the system will engage?

I can't remember what condition it was under when the vehicle actually engaged into 4X4 low. I suppose I could read the owner's manual but don't have it here with me!

Come to a complete stop, press the breaks, press the 4 low button. Hold the breaks until the light quits flashing and goes solid.

For 4 high you should be able to press it on the fly.

Come to a complete stop, press the breaks, press the 4 low button. Hold the breaks until the light quits flashing and goes solid.

For 4 high you should be able to press it on the fly.

Thanks, I will give it a try. I may have had my foot on the brake pedal when the vehicle engaged into 4X4 low but just had it in park without my foot on the brake pedal.

I had a 94 Jeep Wrangler that had a vacuum operated 4 wheel drive system (but not lockout hubs) and it was awkward.

To get it to shift into 4 wheel high, you had to shift the lever into 4 wheel high (either while moving or stationary). If you were parked this was not a big deal but if you were moving especially up a hill, the system wouldn't engage because there was no vacuum signal present unless I took my foot off the accelerator.

This almost caught me one day. I was on a clear road but the off ramp going up hill was covered in snow/ice. I pulled into into 4X4 high but because I had the accelerator more than halfway to the floor, the system would not engage!

Apparantly Jeep never installed a vacuum canister with a check valve to avoid this problem. I never thought to add one.

Shifting into 4X4 low, the gearshifter had to be in neutral and less than 5 mph. I would just stop, kick in neutral and pull it into 4X4 low.

Back