4x4 conversion/SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 conversion/SAS

whats up yall? i've been thinkin about either buyin all the stuff i need for a 4x4 conversion or just goin all out and doing a solid axle conversion...i know both of these will be hard/time consuming/and ungodly expensive, but which would be the cheaper/easier way to go? thanx chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Converting to 4x would mean new hubs, half shafts, diff housing, front/rear driveshafts, t-case, modifying tranny to mate with t-case, and new computer or reprogramming to make the t-case work (assuming using stock type t-case)

Solid axle is doable. . .but only with 8+" of lift, and that still means you need T-case, modified tranny, etc and LOTS of custom fab work

So, yes, as you stated before "both of these will be hard/time consuming/and ungodly expensive"

Unless you REALLY love your current Ex, sell your 2x and buy a 4x.

yup ....i agree with jefe....

I agree

I have to say you need to just part with your current 2wd and trade in on a 4wd. Easier and cheaper.

i agree w/ u about parting w/ the 2wd but i just love the truck...but for the stuff i like doin i NEED a 4x4 so i guess im gonna have to look into trading it in...i mean i still think a solid axle conversion would be too cool in a late model explorer but i just dont have the time to play around w/ it since its a daily driver

Hold up guys.... If you plan to swap to a Solid Axle the 2wd is Just as good a 4x4 to do this.

Your engine computer has nothing to do with the 4x4 system. If your going to do the convesion use a manual t-case casue you would not have to wire any thing up.

I did the conversion with stock parts for under $1500.00 And Brian Green from Dallas is doing the conversion on his 92 with a solid Axle.
I was thinking of buying a 95+ for a built up project later and I do not care if the Truck is 2wd or 4wd when I buy it cause I will be removing the Stock parts any way.

Good luck.

brady!! 4x4 oh baby!!! haha.

would putting in TTB be any easier on a 95? or is the frame too different?

brady-- you dont need 4x4 in your beast hehe

Originally posted by BoatsRcool
brady!! 4x4 oh baby!!! haha.

would putting in TTB be any easier on a 95? or is the frame too different?

brady-- you dont need 4x4 in your beast hehe

Naw you wouldn't wanna do that because it would be just as much work just to go with a straight axle.

It would be more work to go with a TTB in a 95+ than going to a solid axle.

Back