4x4 does not work | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 does not work

4 x 4 cm

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR POSTS.

I ordered my module from: http://www.tascafordparts.com/

$182 with shipping. Part delivered in 5 days. Took about 30 minutes to take out old one and install new one. Right behind glove box- 2 bolts and disconnect 2 "plugs." 4 wheel drive back working and all dash lights are as well.

2 local dealers wanted $338-$351 just for the part, plus $200 to install. This saved me well over $300. Thank you!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4 x 4 cm

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR POSTS. I have 2002 Ford Explorer, XLS. I had disconnected my negative on my battery to replace an EGR valve sensor in the engine. As soon as I took care of that, my four wheel drive stopped working and no lights would come on in the dash.

I ordered my module from: http://www.tascafordparts.com/. Easy people to work with. Call the parts department, and give them the last 8 #'s of your VIN. They will confirm you have correct part #, and then order online.

$182 with shipping. Part delivered in 5 days. Took about 30 minutes to take out old one and install new one. Right behind glove box- 2 bolts and disconnect 2 "plugs." 4 wheel drive back working and all dash lights are as well.

2 local dealers wanted $338-$351 just for the part, plus $200 to install. This saved me about $300. Thank you!!

4x4 doesn't work - not module or shift motor

My 4x4 on 02 Explorer quit working a while ago. Tried a new CM and that didn't help. Took the shift motor off and tested it - works fine. All fuses are OK. Back wheels spin in poor traction situation whether auto, high or low are selected. I do get appropriate dash lights after shifting into high or low, just no traction. I had the opportunity to look under the vehicle while the rear wheel was spinning on ice (do not try this at home) with 4 high and 4 low selected and not only was only one of the rear tires spinning, but neither of the front wheels were spinning and the front drive shaft was also not turning. I recently replaces the rear ABS sensor on top of the rear differential which cleared the ABS dash light and brought my ABS system back. Thought that it might bring 4x4 back, but it didn't. Somebody told me it may be the vaccum actuator on the front axle or a vacuum line which would auto-lock the front hubs, but if the front hubs weren't locking, wouldn't the front driveshaft still be turning if I am in 4 wheel drive? I am thinking that it could be the front or rear drive shaft sensor on the t-case which are connected to the shift motor. Do these sensors affect shift motor operation of the t-case? I know the shift motor itself works, just not when I push the button, even though the dash indicates 4x4 is on. The bushing on the gear in the shift motor is fine... is there anyway the motor could be somehow out of position as on the older versions?

Help!

Just a thank you to all who posted in this thread. Ordered my replacement module, went to install it as directed only to realize that the existing wire harness wasn't plugged in anymore.

So piece of advice to everybody experiencing this, before ordering the part take a few seconds to pull down the glove box and make sure your wire harnesses are tightly plugged in. There are two that both plug into the bottom of the module.

4x4 CM

I had all these symptoms on my 02 Explorer. Ordered and installed a new CM which did not solve the problem. Took it to Dealer who diagnosed the problem to a bad terminal on the shift motor. Replaced with a $2.57 part and everything is fine.

I guess I'll put the old CM, which is fine, on EBAY.

Be aware that 02 Explorers manufactured after March 02 have a different CM part number which stars with 2C5Z

OK, have the same problem. The "4x4 High" dash light kept flashing on my 02 XLS while driving. I replaced the 4x4 module with the newest model (1L2Z-7E453-A). New module works, but "4x4 High" dash light still flashes. Also, I now hear a loud "clunk" when making a turn or driving in a circle around cul-de-sac. Sounds like 4wd is engaging. What should I do next? Don't suggest sell it, that is what I'm trying to do, but I can't sell it in this condition.

Thanks to all

I had the similar problem of having lost my 4x4 ( no lights, no sounds, no fuses blown) after a battery change. This forum led me in the right direction and I decided to gamble $180 on a new module. I ordered it from Tasca Ford and received it and installed it just now. Everything is working now. Without the updated part number many dealers would not have known the correct replacement part. Without the tip to try Tasca Ford I would have paid too much. Even with my Ford employee discount of 25% off retail it would have been $253. I joined this forum just to say thanks to everyone here who took the time to help people they don't even know. Good karma on y'all. :chug:

Hello,
I have a 2001 Ford Ranger and am having the same issues with 4 wheel drive not working. These posts have been helpful and I am going to replace the control mod. My question is has anyone had this problem after doing the factory recall for the cruise control switch? It seems like mine was working before this was done but not after. Do you think this replacement could have caused my control mod to go out? if so would it be worth my time to discuss it with the dealership (stealership)?

My 02 explorer will shift into 4x4 High but I get nothing when I try 4x4 Low. Both dash lights light up when I start the truck. Before I buy a new control module is there any way I can test the switch ? I read the whole post and didnt see anything about how to test the actual switch.

My 02 explorer will shift into 4x4 High but I get nothing when I try 4x4 Low. Both dash lights light up when I start the truck. Before I buy a new control module is there any way I can test the switch ? I read the whole post and didnt see anything about how to test the actual switch.

You are putting your truck in Neutral and stepping on the brake pedal FIRST before hitting the LOW button right?

Hi all, Have a 2002 XLT. had the same problem no 4x4, no lights, bought the module from tasca. Bolted it in plugged in the wires and now the light on the 4x4 low is on. The door chimes without the key in the ignition, the car starts but I cannot pull the shifter into gear. I swapped back to the old but still have the same issues, HELP!
**update- found #23 fuse blown. put the old module back in and changed the fuse. Now the ford is back the way it was. Wrong module? I just sent and email to Tasca

I have a 2005 EB explorer with sporttrac, and 4wd. How can I find the part number for me to able to order to new part?
I just would like to know the right part number in order to avoid confusion when ordering, and I am confused if there was a change in part number that might make things more difficult.
If anyone would be willing to post a link(preferably rockauto or whatever is cheapest) for my part I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Davis

Thanks
Davis

How can I find the part number for me to able to order to new part?

After reading the thread it seems the best way is to call the vendor and provide them with your existing part # and VIN.

To those who want to see where the 4 x 4 module is; I borrowed a pic from another thread to illustrate (thanks rrgone!)

4x4a.jpg

ok thanks, one more question though.

If when starting my car the 4x4 hi and low lights illuminate then does that mean my module is bad? or will this still occur even without a function module?

bump. I am still curious if my 4WD lights illuminate when I start the car does that mean the module is ok?

Thanks

I have a 1992 Ford Explorer, 4x4 Eddie Bauer Edition. I got it used from an old friend who owns a junk yard. When I bought it, the 4wd would not engage so he looked at it, said it was just stuck, and it worked for about 2 days. Then went out again. I took it back, and he could only get high range (I guess that's what you call it... I'm a newbie... don't laugh too hard) to work. Low range wouldn't work at all, and the regular 4x4 light was kinda half way on all the time and lit up when it engaged. Now it stays halfway on, I can hear a click when I push it and 4wd doesn't engage, and I've called my auto club 2 times to pull me out of things I should have been able to drive out of, and I'm getting very angry with the "old friend" at the junk yard.

I use it to help out an old lady who lives up an almost inaccessible oil lease road. I can get in and out with 2wd if it's not wet, but otherwise, I'm calling my auto club to tug me out of a mud hole.

I really like being able to help the old widow up the hill, so if anyone can give me a point by point troubleshooting sequence with which I can check all the electrical things that make the 4x4 engage, and the actual motor. I'd sure be grateful.

I myself, am a little ole lady, but I know how to work on cars some. However, if there's anyone who lives close to Dustin, OK and would like to help by looking and pointing and showing me where stuff is, I'd be glad to pay for gas.

Thanks

ok so I just went out to check and see if my 4x4 module wasnt plugged in completely only to find out there was no module at all.. This is a sad sad thing if I bought a 2wd explorer when one of the main reasons I bought it was the 4x4 capability.
I was told it was 4x4 by the dealer, and never had to check until now.

gosh, I am not happy about this.. is it possible this module was moved? Do they equip the 2wd explorers with the same 4x4 buttons on the interior? I am very upset if I made this stupid mistake..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did a VIN check and it came back as an 05 EB with 4x4 so I am good there. Now I am just confused where the module would be if it wasn't right in my face once I pull the glove box down(so it is hanging)

Any ideas?

Update: checked the fuse as well as had the obdII scanned and no codes came up.
Frustrating!

Back