4x4 driveshaft turning but not front wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 driveshaft turning but not front wheels

MARTY196

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque,New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
1992 4x4 XLT 4.0L pushpod engine, automatic locking hubs. push the 4x4 button on the dash
to engage 4x4 high, light goes on 4x4 indicator on dash lights up. put all 4 wheels on jack stands
transfer case engages turns front driveshaft which in turn turns the 2 drive axles going to front wheels but wheels don't lock into 4x4. also checked the teeth on the drive shaft all are okay so driveshaft is turning but not wheels also when I push 4x4 low button nothing happends assuming this has to do with 4x4 hi not working any help greatly appreciated thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is most definitely your auto hubs. Do the conversion for manual hubs and you will be set.

Cool thanks guys also would that be why the 4Lo is not engaging? When I push the button no light nothing happends also how would I know where and what kind of manuel locking hubs to get? will it be better to change over or just replace automatic hubs? will do work myself I know how to work on vehicle just 1st time owning a 4x4 but looking forward to the adventures which I hear are great

Are you sure you are engaging 4-lo correctly? A friend of mine with a 91 went for about a year wondering why his low range didn't work until he figured out the correct way to do it.

ya pretty sure switching to 4Lo right after pushing 4HI once it engaged " when it used to" would push 4Lo button and would work fine just not anymore once 4Hi stopped found manuel hubs and conversion kit for $210.00 is this good price to do it yourself?

Marty,
Welcome to the site, from a former Albuquerque boy. :D I don't mean to sound insulting, but you do know that you have to be in neutral , with your foot on the brake in order to go from 4 hi to 4lo.
If this is not the case, then you should be able to hear the T-case motor switch from hi to lo. Remember that it is a 2 speed T-case and under normal circumstances it is in hi gear. If you have someone switch it into 4lo, with you listening for it down under the truck, you should hear the shift motor switch. If not then check your fuses and connections in the back cargo area, where the window washer is. If that doesn't do it then you can try cleaning the connection on the back of the shift motor. there is a nother website that tells you how to do this. I don't have the url for this but I know it's been posted here many times, so do a search. Let us know how it goes.Oh yea, the auto hubs cost alot more than the manual hubs.
Also look up Brian1, he's from Albuquerque too, and could probably help you out. He's a pretty smart guy.

WELL I GUESS I'M GONNA CHANGE OVER TO MANUEL THEY
ARE ALOT CHEAPER ANYWAY THANKS

Back