• Register Today It's free!

4x4 drivetrain tutorial

pugsy

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4 (4 door)
K...I need a quick tutorial on how the 4x4 works on these explorers. Just got a new shift motor ($150 CDN. for brand new - sweet deal) so now the lights come on when i push the buttons.
So, now for the tutorial, someone tell me if I'm correct or where I'm wrong.
- in 2 hi, when in neutral and i roll the truck, the front driveshaft and axles don't move - as expected.
- when i push 4x4 and the light comes on, when in neutral and i roll the truck, the front drive shaft and axles now rotate, this means the transfer case is working right and the engine will be powering the front axles, right? However, I'm not sure my hubs are locking cause after I drive forward a bit, then put it back to 2 hi, the axles don't spin anymore. If the hubs are locked and it's in 2 hi, the axles and front drive shaft should still rotate right?
So, my conclusion is that that auto hubs are not engaging right. I need to get out to a sandy road to test it out. They have a lot of grease in them so was thinking of cleaning them out to see if it helps.
How long does it take for the auto hubs to lock? I know that once they lock, if you want to unlock them, to drive in reverse for a few feet.
Anyhow....thanks for the lesson on 4x4. I've only ever had 4x2's.

- when i push 4x4 and the light comes on, when in neutral and i roll the truck, the front drive shaft and axles now rotate, this means the transfer case is working right and the engine will be powering the front axles, right? However, I'm not sure my hubs are locking cause after I drive forward a bit, then put it back to 2 hi, the axles don't spin anymore. If the hubs are locked and it's in 2 hi, the axles and front drive shaft should still rotate right?

Negatory. That does not mean the transfer case is working. That means your hubs work. To check if the transfer case is in 4x4, put it in park, press the 4x4 button, and see if you can turn the front driveshaft by hand. If you can;t, it's in 4x4.

Also, yes your driveshaft and front axle parts should rotate if the hubs are locked, even being in 2WD.

The auto hubs are greaseless hubs. There should be no grease in them at all. A light coat of ATF is all they need. The hubs will lock within a few inches of moving, after 4x4 is engaged, as long as they work properly.

did the "turn the driveshaft test" and yes...my transfer case is working. Still not sure on the hubs though. Didn't have time to test them out. I want to clean the grease outta them first. Also, is it normal for the transfer case to make a clunck when going into 4 lo? There's no noise going into 4x4, but a clunk when going from 4 hi to 4 lo. Just curious if this is wrecking anything.
The new shift motor works like a charm! However, now I have an old one that needs rebuilding if anyone wants to buy it.

Back