• Register Today It's free!

4x4 help/advise

lukebaldwin318

Reaction score
City, State
Waverly, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I hae a 98 Explorer Sport with Contorl-Trac. I love my Explorer, but hate the Contorl-Trac with a passion.

It doesnt work at all and no one on here Ive seen has the same problems. No light are flashing but lights come on when I switch to 4hi or 4lo. And It feels real tourquey when in 4lo. but fronts do not spin at all.

When we were plaing in the snow the other night I just satyed in Auto. When I was slidding around it was poping it grindling a little from what sounded like up front. Anyone have any advice on how to diagnosis whats going on?

Or.... Is there anyway to put a regulaur 4x4 T-case into it. I have two Spares both non-Control-trac. Or whats a good easy cheap swap I can do to get rid of the Control-Trac and have maual lockers? I HATE IT.

I hae a 98 Explorer Sport with Contorl-Trac. I love my Explorer, but hate the Contorl-Trac with a passion.

It doesnt work at all and no one on here Ive seen has the same problems. No light are flashing but lights come on when I switch to 4hi or 4lo. And It feels real tourquey when in 4lo. but fronts do not spin at all.

When we were plaing in the snow the other night I just satyed in Auto. When I was slidding around it was poping it grindling a little from what sounded like up front. Anyone have any advice on how to diagnosis whats going on?

Or.... Is there anyway to put a regulaur 4x4 T-case into it. I have two Spares both non-Control-trac. Or whats a good easy cheap swap I can do to get rid of the Control-Trac and have maual lockers? I HATE IT.
I have the same problem with my 96. I have researched the problem, and it seems to be the electromagnetic(?) clutch. I even did the brown wire mod, no help. There is a manual transfer case from an earlier Ranger that is supposed to work, 4405 I think. Good luck. You might jack up the front and be sure the interaxle disconnect is working. Wish mine would be that simple fix.

Good luck. You might jack up the front and be sure the interaxle disconnect is working. Wish mine would be that simple fix.

You don't have a front axle disconnect on your 98. You have 2 options. One is to find a 1354 manual case from a 98-00 Ranger and put that in. I don't think you'll have much luck finding the linkage however. Your other option is a 1354 electric shift. I did this to mine while I'm waiting to find the linkage for my manual conversion. You can see the write up in my sig. I also used Scott b.'s manual hub conversion write up to get rid of the live axle. I now have real 2wd along with 4hi/4lo.

Hey! Thanks to both you guys! I have looked up everywhere on what to do. Prob a dumb question but the 1354 electric shift what ranger/explorers are those in. I have an electric shift one sitting around is there numbers on it that tell me?

I was kinda thinking it was that (clutch). I having a hard time understanding the Control-trac. Thats why I wanna be gone with it!

I will look at that manual locker swap for sure.

Back