4x4 Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bren51

Reaction score
City, State
West Milford, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Just picked up a V8 06 XLT yesterday with 35,000 miles on it. One problem I am noticing is that when I press the 4x4 buttons, nothing lights up on the dash. When putting it in 4x4 low I can hear it click in by the button but pressing 4x4 high I cant hear anything engage. The traction control button lights up on the dash when pressed. Any Ideas?

It also started hesitating on my way home and the check engine light came on, the computer said 'multiple cylinder misfire'...didnt hesitate on my way to work this AM though...wet connectors?

The dealer said they will fix everything but I'd like to have as much info as I can get.

Get everything you can from the dealer and go from there. I blotted up a couple of gallons of water from the floor of mine when I bought it from a dealer used. The detailer shampoos the carpet and left A LOT of water. Did you get an owners manual? They should give you one. That will tell you how to shift into 4x4. I know with my 4x4 High, I don't hear much when it engages, but the dash does light up. I do hear a relay click w/4x4 L. Traction control will engage in 4x4 L.

Back