4x4 High -- Jump, Stutter, Binds when turning left | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 High -- Jump, Stutter, Binds when turning left

icepickjazz

Reaction score
City, State
Noblesville, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT Sport 4.6L V8
Alright, not sure how to describe this. We had our first snow the other day. I ran out for lunch and put the X into 4x4 High. As I was turning left into the parking space the X started to jump or stutter or bind. It's never done this before. Double checked and it idiot light indicated 4x4 High. Is this the transfer case or some other issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say it was axle binding. It happens on all 4x4's when turning. But my question is: Did you really need 4H to drive around? Unless there's a crap load of snow on the ground, you should leave it in auto. 4H & 4L should only be used on soft ground. ie: snow, mud, sand and etc... You should never run locked in 4H or 4L while on a paved road. Unless, deep snow/conditions which allow the wheels some slippage. My Ex has done this once in a blue moon at full lock while turning. So I wouldn't worry unless it starts to happen a lot. Just my opinion.

My dad had a similar issue with his ('03), but it would do it intermittantly in 2WD. Turned out to be the traction / wheel slip sensor on his passenger side front wheel.

Just throwing that out there. I think the actual issue is what torment said :)

My 2002 Ex just had its 4x4 control module replaced after it not working for 3 years. Module was the fix. Took it to some hard packed clay w/some sandy soft spots to test. 4x4 low made alot of grinding and popping when i drove it around, and somewhat also in 4x4 hi. None in 4 auto. Seemed louder than when i used to have 4wd on the truck before. Battery had been disconnected just before this test. Could the computer be re-learning shifting or 4x4 operation? is there anything i can grease or service in regard to the front axles now being in use after being idle for 3 years?

^^^^Change your fluids in your front differential, and your t-case.^^^^

X2
I just did both on mine(after buying a t-case) and makes a big difference... Even used royal purple for t-case...
Much less auto 4x chatter/jerking noises now...

Btw-Welcome to the forum xls2002

If you were on pavement or mostly pavement, that behavior is normal. As mentioned above, turning on a hard surface in 4WD will bind up the system. You won't notice it as much in gentle turns or at higher speeds because the tires slip some and relieve the binding.

If you were on pavement or mostly pavement, that behavior is normal. As mentioned above, turning on a hard surface in 4WD will bind up the system. You won't notice it as much in gentle turns or at higher speeds because the tires slip some and relieve the binding.

x2, When I first got a 4x4, and didn't know any better. I tried my 4x4 on wet pavement. Bad...very bad idea. :eek: pop :censored: is what happened.

Just glad the truck was new, and got it fixed for free. :D

Back