4X4 High Noises - Normal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4X4 High Noises - Normal?

XCAMP

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, XLT
So here's the deal (this is my first post).

Recently bought a 2005 Explorer and it runs like a champ, and I love it. Only has 40K on the clock.

I realize driving on dry or hard surfaces will cause that terrible binding noise/wheel hopping in the front!

Here's the deal:
I was on a fire road that is normally pretty hard packed gravel. It snowed a couple inches and packed down with the gravel. So basically it was hard packed snow with rocks in it, nothing deep. It's pretty tight in some areas, but nowhere near full lock on the steering. So I was in 4X4 High because some of the hills are quite steep and I needed traction to get up. In one of the turns I heard some slight binding/stress coming from the front that went away when I straightened out. So I tried to make it happen again on the next turn and it did.

Just want to know if you all hear this type of noise and if it's normal. I am under warranty for another week or two, so I would want to get it checked out if it's of concern. But I don't want to take it in and have some dumb kid trying to test my 4X4 by turning in the parking lot.

Thanks in advance dudes!

Back