4x4 Instructions help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Instructions help please

Bmoresports

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer sport
Hello everybody. I have some questions about how to use the 4x4 in my manual 5 speed ford explorer. It has the electrical button for 4x4 and low range. I dont know what the low range button is for and i dont know how to properly engage the 4x4. To engage 4x4 do i need to be stopped and in neutral or in gear? do i need to be stopped to disengage the 4x4? how fast can i go with 4x4 on? will the 4x4 help in snow? I really dont want to damage my 4x4 system so any directions on proper use would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4x4 high can be engaged at any time, and run up to speeds about 55 mph safety. 4x4 low you have to be stopped, clutch in (put in neutral for auto transmission), 4x4 high first, then 4x4 low. To disengage, do the opposite. Low range is used when you need more torque or better control at slow speed. Top speed is about 30 mph in low range. You should never be in 4x4 on dry pavement. It will help you get moving from a stop in snow, but I wouldn't go long distances with it on. If you have manual locking hubs, you may leave them locked, even when in 2x4 if you wish to.

4x4 high can be engaged at any time, and run up to speeds about 55 mph safety. 4x4 low you have to be stopped, clutch in (put in neutral for auto transmission), 4x4 high first, then 4x4 low. To disengage, do the opposite. Low range is used when you need more torque or better control at slow speed. Top speed is about 30 mph in low range. You should never be in 4x4 on dry pavement. It will help you get moving from a stop in snow, but I wouldn't go long distances with it on. If you have manual locking hubs, you may leave them locked, even when in 2x4 if you wish to.

I have automatic hubs so i can just turn on 4x4 while driving if need be? and to be sure the button that says 4x4 is 4 hi? just making sure. Thank you 10 times for the help

I have automatic hubs so i can just turn on 4x4 while driving if need be? and to be sure the button that says 4x4 is 4 hi? just making sure. Thank you 10 times for the help

4x4 button is high - this is the one you can "shift on the fly"...although, I tend to do it at slower speeds.

Low Range is 4x4 low which requires clutch in on yours or in neutral on mine and at a stop like the other folks said.

Since you have a 5-speed manual (like I do), keep an eye on your tach AND speedometer, and don't over rev (especially in 4WD LOW). I keep my Explorer between 1500-2000 RPM when driving (I read somewhere that's the max torque range).

I have automatic hubs...

One tidbit of info on the auto hubs, when you shift back into 2wd, you need to back up 10-20 feet for the hubs to unlock. Otherwise they are still locked and the front axle will still be connected and spinning.

Since you have a 5-speed manual (like I do), keep an eye on your tach AND speedometer, and don't over rev (especially in 4WD LOW). I keep my Explorer between 1500-2000 RPM when driving (I read somewhere that's the max torque range).

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/1991/888725/ford_explorer_4wd_4_0l_efi_v-6_5-speed_od.html

Best rpm for torque is closer to 2-4K rpms. Our engines are designed for torque but lugging your engine is not needed, just like revving too much.

Peak torque is between 1800 and 2200 rpm. The power really falls off after 3000 rpm.

As a rule of thumb (for me) I don't shift after 3000 rpm, I try to keep it between 2000 and 2500 for fuel economy.

If it were me, I would do the auto hub to manual hub conversion. This would alleviate a potential failure point, and one or both hubs tend to not work when you need it most with the auto hubs.

Not to be nit picky, but I'm pretty sure peak torque is 2800 rpm. Still, its pretty much flat through the power band. HP doesn't pick up to just after 2000 rpm, but signs off after 4000. The way I see it for off road, if you are between 400 rpm and red line, you are in the right gear. That's what I really love about the 4.0, you can just pick a gear and go, no worries about bogging out.

I would ditch the auto hubs ASAP.

According to my research online tq stops at roughly 2500 rpm and hp stops at around 4500. I usually shift between 2000 and 2500( don't what to pound on the engine considering everything is 23 years old and has 164k miles on it.) but that's me. But to each their own as they say

Also x2 on "fully disengaging" the 4x4 with auto locks. If you don't stop and back up atleaat 10 feet you can possibly damage the front end. Or so I was told at least. I had an 88f-150 4x4 with manual hubs and you has to do the same thing with them when you put it back into 2wd or else it would start squealing and grinding. But I only ever use my 4wd to get outta trouble not to get into trouble. So for me its an as needed necessity type thing.

There shouldn't be an issue with the hubs staying locked in. They can do that and my manual ones did it until I cleaned them. However, you should be able to drive on dry pavement and make normal turns (not tight parking lot maneuvers mind you) without issue with the hubs locked but NOT in 4x4 mode. It should just spin the front axles and rotate the spider gears. Not good for wear & tear and fuel economy but there shouldn't be any issue with doing that. If there is, that might indicate something's wrong. Personally, I left my hubs locked in quite a bit this winter and just hit the 4x4 button when pavement was coming up. Drove 60MPH on the highway without issue. Little bit of vibration in the steering wheel but that's it.

That said, if I had auto hubs, I'd back up after turning off 4x4. The only reason I leave my manual hubs locked in is laziness. Locking them in, unlocking, just for short distances, not for me.

The only reason I leave my manual hubs locked in is laziness. Locking them in, unlocking, just for short distances, not for me.

Haha, the last time I locked in my hubs was last winter when it snowed and iced. The weather down here has been bipolar mostly spring like conditions.

Also x2 on "fully disengaging" the 4x4 with auto locks. If you don't stop and back up atleaat 10 feet you can possibly damage the front end. Or so I was told at least. I had an 88f-150 4x4 with manual hubs and you has to do the same thing with them when you put it back into 2wd or else it would start squealing and grinding. But I only ever use my 4wd to get outta trouble not to get into trouble. So for me its an as needed necessity type thing.

If you have an Open differential then disengaging 4x4 and leaving the HUBs locked is no big deal. It will cause a slight drop in gas mileage with the front drive train in motion.

If you have a locking differential in the front then it could possible cause issues with binding and you'd want to unlock the hubs to prevent any problems.

Back