4x4 Issue (dont know which thread to post in) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Issue (dont know which thread to post in)

Porkybubs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 ford explorer 4x4
Im new and i tried searching around but im not really sure where to post my issue with my 4x4. Can anyone direct me? Thank you.

Issue is:
I been gone for 1 month to Costa Rica, i came back and my 4x4 lights flash a few times, so i Google it and see it could be a sensor. But when i engage in 4x4 low or high it clunks and drives like crap (as if i was hard shifting/making lots of noise in the front tires).

02 ford explorer automatic.

Thank you.

Drives fine without 4x4 engaged.

I did just install a new head unit before leaving and i read someone hit some wires well doing the same and that stopped him from using 4x4 but doesnt seem like same issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the issue,,I think there's a gem module hiding in there you may have loosened a wire in there..Could also be the shift motor on the side of the transfer case.

Does anyone happen to have an image of what i should be looking for behind the cd player? Thank you.

Well being in 4wd hi or lo on dry pavement is going to feel like crap.

It sounds like its working to me...the light is supposed to flash when in 4wd lo, but should not flash when in 4wd hi

I never noticed this before and ive used 4x4 every so often. When i put it in low its worse. When i turn the tire its complete crap (jerking and noises) . Does that sound normal?

It had a new transmission at 79,000 miles and im at 111000 and drives just find in automatic so luckily im assuming its not transmission (well praying)

What i assume it could be:

-Gem module
-Something behind the new Radio i install got messed up
-Shiftier on the transfer case
-4x4 Control under glove box

Im not really sure where to head at this point. May just need to bring it in if i don't fine anyone else with a similar problem.

It kicked into 4x4 no issues at all but like i said there is a random 4x4 flashing at me when i drive in automatic that never has appeared before on the dash.

A mechanic is telling me its the transfer case. Does that sound reasonable? Hard shifting well in 4x4 low and not so hard in 4x4 hi. Sounds are from the front.

Back