4x4 issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 issue

Rob77

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have a 2002 Explorer with 72k.In the snow a couple of days ago it was stuck and only one front wheel was spinning and one rear wheel in 4 wheel high and 4 wheel low. All the lights are working and the control module was replaced 20k ago. Also it no longer binds in 4wd high or low when making a sharp turn on a hard surface. All the 4wd buttons work and light up when pressed and I can hear the shift motor working. Shouldn't both front wheels be spinning in 4wd high and low? Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 Explorer with 72k.In the snow a couple of days ago it was stuck and only one front wheel was spinning and one rear wheel in 4 wheel high and 4 wheel low. All the lights are working and the control module was replaced 20k ago. Also it no longer binds in 4wd high or low when making a sharp turn on a hard surface. All the 4wd buttons work and light up when pressed and I can hear the shift motor working. Shouldn't both front wheels be spinning in 4wd high and low? Thanks for any help.

In the case of non-limited slip differentials, it is entirely possible for one front wheel and one rear wheel to spin under certain conditions. Apparently, you found such conditions. imp

Thanks, but why doesn't it bind up when turning a full circle in 4wd high or 4wd low? It used to.

Thanks, but why doesn't it bind up when turning a full circle in 4wd high or 4wd low? It used to.
because there's snow on the ground and the wheel is slipping instead of binding?

Ever hear of a "one wheel wonder"?
Most 2wd trucks are actually 1 wheel drive, and most 4x4's are actually 2 wheel drive.

Here is a correction to my original post. Both rear wheels were spinning and only one front wheel was spinning in 4wd low. So the rear wheels were working like they should.Shouldn't both front wheels also be spinning? It does have limited slip rear differential. However It does not bind or hop on dry concrete when turning a tight circle in 4wd low or 4wd high like it used to.

That sounds like it's fully operational.

Here is a correction to my original post. Both rear wheels were spinning and only one front wheel was spinning in 4wd low. So the rear wheels were working like they should.Shouldn't both front wheels also be spinning? It does have limited slip rear differential. However It does not bind or hop on dry concrete when turning a tight circle in 4wd low or 4wd high like it used to.

From your OP I understood one wheel at front and back was spinning. I mentioned non-slip differentials.

What are the markings on your dashboard's 4X4 buttons? If the top one is "4X4 AUTO", this does not fit with your description of "4X4 HIGH". imp

I have 4x4 auto,4x4 high, and 4x4 low. I corrected my first post to say that both rears were spinning but only one front was spinning in 4x4 high and in 4x4 low. My understanding is that both 4x4 high and low should lock both front wheels but only one was spinning. That is why you can not drive in 4x4 high or low on dry payment as it will cause the front end to bind up in turns-but mine does not bind up anymore.

No you would need to have an air locker or eLocker installed to do that.

I have 4x4 auto,4x4 high, and 4x4 low. I corrected my first post to say that both rears were spinning but only one front was spinning in 4x4 high and in 4x4 low. My understanding is that both 4x4 high and low should lock both front wheels but only one was spinning. That is why you can not drive in 4x4 high or low on dry payment as it will cause the front end to bind up in turns-but mine does not bind up anymore.

The Dr. is right. First of all, you need to understand that the 4X4 system you have is mechanically the same as the old manually-shifted systems, with the exception that yours shifts via an electronically controlled clutch. There is no provision for "locking the front wheels together", as the differential in the front allows unlimited range of speeds between the two front wheels: from one standing still with the other spinning, to both spinning at the same speed. It all depends on traction conditions present.

You are correct that 4X4 HIGH or LOW cannot be used on pavement, without possibly damaging the driveline. If yours no longer shows evidence of binding in 4X4 HIGH or LOW, you have no power being directed to the front wheels, no 4X4 action. The cause for that condition might be: inoperative clutch, possibly fuse blown, or mechanically-broken part(s) in the transfer case. The extreme cause would be the front drive shaft broke off, and fell out, but you would know about that! imp

I agree with what you are saying however I am getting power to the front in 4wd high and low as I had one front wheel spinning along with the two rear wheels spinning. I also have no binding when turning a circle on dry pavement in 4wd high or low.

I think I need to find some ice and make sure I am still getting power to the front. I guess it is possible something broke between getting stuck and noticing it was not binding up. Although it has only been driven less than a mile since I was stuck.

Only one front is going to spin its an open differential. You have a limited slip rear diff if both wheels are spinning. 4wd is not really four wheels driving. If you had a locker in the front diff, you could get 4 wheels turning but you couldn't drive it down the highway.

Also, IMO, the Explorer's driveline is not strong enough to start adding lockers.

Regardless, crawl under there and look at it, it's small with small axle shafts. The transmissions are weak, and depending on year the rear diffs have howling bearings.
I love my Explorer but these things do have their issues, good maintenance can help keep ahead of things. Take care of your Exp and it'll take care of you! :thumbsup:

Back