4x4 light on the dash came on today (v8) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 light on the dash came on today (v8)

geosnooker2000

Reaction score
City, State
Somerville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
So, where I park, my right tires are off the driveway, and right now it's real muddy. I have owned this '10 for about 2 weeks. This hasn't happened before today. I pulled out of the drive, my tires slipped in the mud (quite a new feeling for me, as my previous '99 was AWD), but I didn't give it a second thought. About 2 miles down the road, I just so happened to look down and notice that the 4x4 light was on. I slowed down (heard a "whining" sound I had not heard before) and pulled over, turned the truck off and back on again. The light was still on. So, I pushed the "4x4 Auto" button and it went off and everything seems normal. Can someone explain to me what happened mechanically? I'd appreciate it!
George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With auto 4x4 the car will engage 4x4 when it detects slipping. Usually when in auto the 4x4 light doesent come on when the car engages 4x4 or at least I have not seen it in my car. Mechanically the car uses the abs wheel speed sensors to detect slipping if so it engages a clutch in the transfer case to send 50/50 power to the front and rear.

So the fact that my 4x4 light stayed on might be cause for concern?

Light shouldn’t come on when it automatically engages, but is there any chance the 4HIGH button got pushed accidentally?
My wife has a habit of leaving a coffee cup in the forward cupholder and at least once a month she bumps the cup and it’s a straight shot directly at the four-wheel-drive high button.
If it doesn’t happen again I wouldn’t worry about it

after you turn off the engine and restart it should default back to the auto mode and light goes off...... maybe the v8 is different but unless it gets stuck in low I wouldnt worry

My wife constantly presses the 4high button accidentally when adjusting the hvac, and no, it wont default to auto when you turn the truck off and back on, at least mine doesn't, its in whatever mode I was last using....

Back